• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

CAS2007 WNLB and CAS2010 WNLB Plus New CAS 2010 Array Before and During Co-existence

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> CAS2007 WNLB and CAS2010 WNLB Plus New CAS 2010 Array Before and During Co-existence Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CAS2007 WNLB and CAS2010 WNLB Plus New CAS 2010 Array B... - 2.Aug.2012 4:15:15 PM   
FT

Hi There,

We are in the process of transitioning our existing Exchange 2007 email system to Exchange 2010.

I was hoping you could help me clarifying something. It goes around having CAS2007 WNLB and CAS 2010 WNLB working in parallel during a Co-existence scenario.

Here are the details:

• Currently in our Exchange 2007 infrastructure we have 2 HUB-CAS 2007 Servers (both roles co-located) running in Windows NLB
 Our External Namespace: mail.domain.com
 NLB Cluster FQDN: mail.domain.com
 NLB VIP: 192.168.100.70

• We will be introducing Exchange 2010 to our existing Exchange 2007 infrastructure and will be in co-existence with both versions for a period of time
• For Exchange 2010, we will have a similar configuration co-locating HUB-CAS 2010 setting them up with Windows NLB.
• Additionally we will create a CAS Array once we setup the NLB cluster

• Following Microsoft best practices we are planning to create/configure a new CAS2010 Array in our headquarters AD site before provisioning mailbox databases or moving mailbox users to Exchange 2010 in that site

Our Goal: to use the same external namespace (mail.domain.com) used by the existing Exchange 2007 for the new Exchange 2010 environment; which will be a convenience for the users as they won’t have to use a new URL to access their mail resources

Of course since both Exchange versions cannot co-exist under the same namespace we will create a new legacy namespace (legacy.domain.com) to be assigned to the Exchange 2007 servers during the co-existence period

Here are my questions:

I’m trying to figure out how to deal with the CAS 2007 NLB and the new CAS 2010 NLB during and after the co-existence period.

Before the Co-Existence Period:

1. Install the first HUB/CAS 2010 Server into the existing Exch 2007 Org
2. Install the second HUB/CAS 2010 Server
3. Create a new NLB cluster with the new HUB/CAS 2010 Servers as follows:
Since our existing Exchange 2007 NLB FQDN is using mail.domain.com and from what I understand we cannot use the same name on the new Exchange 2010 NLB, we will assign a new name (hqmail.domain.com)
a. NLB Cluster FQDN: hqmail.domain.com
b. NLB VIP: 192.168.100.80
c. A Record: hqmail192.168.100.80

4. Create the new CAS 2010 Array:

a. CAS Array Name: ex10array-hq
b. CAS Array Object FQDN: hqarray.domain.com
c. CAS Array Internal DNS Record: hqarray  192.168.100.80

So I guess creating the new NLB for the Exch 2010 servers should not affect the production environment because prior to co-existence period, we are still pointing our DNS records and firewall publishing rules to the existing external namespace (mail.domain.com) associated to the NLB VIP: 192.168.100.70 and also to the new legacy.domain.com; which will also be pointing to CAS 2007 over NLB VIP: 192.168.100.70

During Co-Existence Period:

My question is…how can I deal with the new CAS 2010 NLB if I wanted to keep the same external namespace (mail.domain.com) once we perform the switchover?

During the installation of the first HUB/CAS 2010 server on the Internet facing site, we will enter our current namespace (mail.domain.com) and the Exchange 2010 setup will automatically populate the external URLs for us

As I understand it, the switchover process involves the transfer of the external namespace (mail.domain.com) from Exch 2007 to Exch 2010. It also involves the assignment of the legacy.domain.com namespace to the Exch 2007 servers by going to all the CAS 2007 server and changing the external URLs currently set to mail.domain.com to now use legacy.domain.com and obviously make the appropriate changes to firewalls, etc

During the switchover to Exch 2010, we will have to point DNS and firewall publishing rules to the new CAS 2010 Array…the thing is that the FQDN of the new NLB cluster used by the CAS 2010 servers will be hqmail.domain.com and not what we want: (mail.domain.com)
I read the following statement written by an Exchange expert: “The NLB cluster's FQDN is completely independent of either the Exchange External URLs or the CAS Array FQDN. They don't need to match. Call your new NLB cluster FQDN anything you like”

On the other hand, when using Split DNS, Microsoft recommends using the NLB FQDN for Internal and External URLs for the OWA, ECP, Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync, OAB, and EWS
NOTE: one exception would be the OWA Internal URL which they recommend being the CAS 2010 Array FQDN

If I follow the MS recommendations indicated above, I would have something like this:

Internal URL:
/OWA: CAS2010 Array FQDN: hqarray.domain.com
/ECP: hqmail.domain.com
/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync: hqmail.domain.com
/OAB: hqmail.domain.com
/EWS: hqmail.domain.com
External URL:
All virtual Directories: hqmail.domain.com

NOTE: we will be using Split DNS

QUESTION:

As mentioned before during the installation of the first HUB/CAS 2010 server on the Internet facing site, we will enter our current namespace (mail.domain.com) and the Exchange 2010 setup will automatically populate the external URLs for us. That means that external URLs at this point will be populated with mail.domain.com; which is what we want as we want to keep our existing namespace (mail.domain.com) after the switchover.

However if I follow the MS recommendations, I would have to replace the internal and external URLs with the NLB FQDN (hqmail.domain.com) and I guess at that point things will breakdown as this is not our external namespace(mail.domain.com). Am I missing something? I have the feeling I’m misunderstanding something here. Can you please clarify?

How can I do to keep the same external namespace (mail.domain.com) used by the existing Exchange 2007 for the new Exchange 2010 environment considering that we will be creating a new CAS2010 NLB and CAS 2010 Array?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and sorry for the long post!

FT
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> CAS2007 WNLB and CAS2010 WNLB Plus New CAS 2010 Array Before and During Co-existence Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter