• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Migration Questions

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Migration Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Migration Questions - 24.Aug.2012 3:17:02 AM   
craigrussell66

Hi - this is my first post, so please be gentle with me, as it will also become clear that my Exchange knowledge is somewhat limited.

We have been trying to go through the process of upgrading from 2003 to 2010 and all was going well until we hit one show stopper - our existing 2003 server has an underscore in the name. The upgrade process halted at this point.

We have had a number of discussions with our consultant and the conclusion seems to be that we create another 2003 server without an underscore in the name and migrate our original server onto this. Once that is up and running, we can reattempt the upgrade to 2010.

Our plan, at a simple level, is:
- Stop Exchange services on existing server
- Copy mailbox files to new server
- Take existing server off network
- Start Exchange services on new server
- Allocate new server same IP as old server
- Migrate users

This seems like a logical approach, but there seems to be a bit of debate about how to migrate the users and how much downtime there would be for the users.

Is it a question of tackling each client, one at a time, and manually re-pointing their email profile to the new server? That sounds simple, but slow as we have 100+ users. There are a number of IT people who could tackle groups of users simultaneously, but this would still take time.

Is there a method whereby we can run a script (via GPO or otherwise) that would allow us to automatically re-point the clients to the new server.

I would like to know what the generally accepted method would be to migrate the clients with the minimum amount of disruption, although I accept that there has to be an element of down time.

All advice would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Migration Questions - 24.Aug.2012 4:45:04 PM   
de.blackman

craigrussell66,

Personally I do not see why you would want to what you have stated. I think this will cause you more grief than anything else. My recommendation would be:
  • Install a second exchange 2003 server
  • Use the move mailbox option to migrate mailboxes to the new server - doing this will automatically reconfigure all your outlook clients!
  • replicate any public folders you may have
  • Make this new server the new routing group master
  • Make it the only server responsible for mail flow
  • change it to be the server responsible for the offline address book
  • Change it to be the server responsible for the RUS
  • Basically anything unique pointing to the original 2003 server, change it to point to the new 2003 server.
  • After (and ONLY after) all users have logged into Outlook after they have been migrated, decommission the original server by uninstalling exchange from it and that should do it for you

This is the proper way to do this - yes your method will work but it has alot of extra effort that can cause you more grief.

Listen to your consultant ! Good luck and welcome to MSExchange.org forums btw!

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to craigrussell66)
Post #: 2
RE: Migration Questions - 27.Aug.2012 2:23:55 AM   
craigrussell66

Ibrahim

Many thanks for your sage advice - it does sound like a much better (and less stressful) route to take.

We will be scheduling this work for the middle of October, all being well, so I will update you once it's over.

Oh, and if my consultant had suggested the same as you then I might be prepared to listen to him - he didn't even suggest the Move Mailbox option.

Thanks again.

Craig

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Migration Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter