Mail database moun/dismount (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General

leekum -> Mail database moun/dismount (27.Aug.2012 2:10:06 PM)

It looks like my transaction logs are corrupt. Will dismounting/mounting the mail database where the logs are corrupt recreate the logs???? What are the risks? Is it safe to do this during production or should this be done after hours???

de.blackman -> RE: Mail database moun/dismount (27.Aug.2012 3:25:49 PM)

How can you tell the logs are corrupt??

I would recommend to do this NOT during production hours as dismounting the database would lead to users getting disconnected from their mailboxes. The best bet would be to manually dismount the database. Doing this would commit all transaction logs into the database and puts it in a clean state. At this point you can run ESEUTIL /MH DATABASENAME.EDB to confirm its in a clean shutdown state. If thats the case, remount the database and immediately take a FULL online backup. This should purge out all the log files.

leekum -> RE: Mail database moun/dismount (27.Aug.2012 3:29:00 PM)

Backups are failing at the end on the consistency check. I am getting the error "Final error: 0xe000032d - The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Exchange transaction log has failed. You should check for possible data corruption in the transaction log that is online.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-813".

leekum -> RE: Mail database moun/dismount (30.Aug.2012 9:03:39 AM)

Infostellar,

Yea I read that link ( http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchange2010/thread/54d4417f-13a3-4966-bc5d-0b6fca9e87b3 ). The resolution in that post was to dismount/mount the db. Thus my question about dismounting/mounting a live mail database. What are the risks? What needs to be done before dismounting or remounting?

de.blackman -> RE: Mail database moun/dismount (30.Aug.2012 1:40:45 PM)

Dismounting a database means that you are taking your mailboxes in that database offline, causing disruption to your users! In that process of dismounting, Exchange will review all the log files and commit any log file that still hasnt been committed into the database yet, making it in a clean shutdown state. Mounting the database will allow exchange to check all the log files and make sure all transactions are committed to the databases before making the mailboxes in the database available for use.

leekum -> RE: Mail database moun/dismount (30.Aug.2012 2:01:45 PM)

So if I were to dismount the mail store with the transaction log missing off hours....Delete the log files and then remount the mail store, Exchange would create new log files. I can run a full backup and we should be good?

Page: [1]