• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Initial mailbox junk email configuration

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Initial mailbox junk email configuration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Initial mailbox junk email configuration - 18.Sep.2012 1:28:15 PM   
barcoboy

I am trying to turn on junk email filtering for new users, but when I use the set-mailboxjunkemailconfiguration command, I'm getting the following error message:

The Junk E-Mail configuration couldn't be set. The user needs to sign in to Outlook Web App before they can modify their Safe Senders and Recipients or Blocked Senders lists.
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Set-MailboxJunkEmailConfiguration], DataSourceOperationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 44A9456E,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.StoreTasks.SetMailboxJunkEmailConfiguration

Is there any way around this? I need to turn this on because of the way our site works. Accounts and mailboxes are created for new users months before they actually log into them, and management doesn't think it's nice for a new user to have spam messages sitting in their Inbox waiting for them to see the first time they log in.
Post #: 1
RE: Initial mailbox junk email configuration - 25.Sep.2012 1:16:39 PM   
barcoboy

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Or can anyone provide a script to automate an OWA login so that this setting can be changed? (The script would have to get by the initial language and timezone question.)

Anybody?

Bueller?

Bueller?

(in reply to barcoboy)
Post #: 2
RE: Initial mailbox junk email configuration - 26.Sep.2012 2:39:18 PM   
barcoboy

OK, so I've found some additional information out about this problem. It seems that when a new mailbox is created in Exchange 2010, the MailboxJunkEmailConfiguration enabled flag is set to true. However, our Transport Rule that is responsible for moving spam messages (by setting the spam confidence level to 9) cannot do so because the Junk Mail folder doesn't exist yet. Either doing the first login in OWA and answering the language and time zone settings, or running Outlook one time, will create the folder and then the transport rule works.

But again, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to automate a login. Why the heck doesn't Microsoft create the Junk Mail folder as part of the initial mailbox creation? It creates all of the other default folders!

(in reply to barcoboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Initial mailbox junk email configuration - 10.Oct.2012 9:37:01 AM   
barcoboy

In case anybody at all is interested (but judging by the number of responses I got to this thread other than my own, I doubt it), or in case someone in the future happens to have the same problem, I have found a solution. The command Test-OwaConnectivity can be used to do an initial login to a mailbox; however, the command by default pops up a username and password dialog box, so some creativity is needed to be able to pass the credentials to it automatically.

The following lines of Powershell code will do a first login to a mailbox, thus creating the Junk Mail folder and enabling junk mail filtering:

--------

$my_secure_password_string = convertto-securestring "password" -asplaintext -force
$my_encrypted_string = convertfrom-securestring $my_secure_password_string -key (1..16)
$my_encrypted_string > password.txt

$password = convertto-securestring (get-content password.txt) -key (1..16)
$login = New-Object -TypeName System.Management.Automation.PsCredential -ArgumentList "domain\username",$password
Test-OwaConnectivity -URL https://your-ca-server/owa -MailboxCredential:$login
Del password.txt

Set-MailboxRegionalConfiguration -identity "domain\username" -TimeZone "Eastern Standard Time"

--------

Replace domain, username, password, and https://your-ca-server above to your required values.

The last command to reset the timezone is needed as the automatic login sets the timezone to PST - specify your default timezone in the command.

You might also want to specify a -Language parameter if your default language is not English.

Or you can reset the mailbox so that the language and timezone can be chosen by the user the next time they log in with the following command:

Set-Mailbox -Identity username -Languages $null

(in reply to barcoboy)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Initial mailbox junk email configuration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter