• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

OWA access with login restrictions in place

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA access with login restrictions in place Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OWA access with login restrictions in place - 16.Oct.2012 4:10:01 PM   
jlatulip

Good day,

I am looking for a resolution (if there is any) to my current situation whereby I have limited my users from logging into our Windows 2003 Active Directory network between 10:00pm and 6:00am each evening so that they will not disrupt our backup process. This has a side-affect of disabling their ability to login to our OWA webpage to access their email. It is also killing their iPhone sync process (via EAS) during this time period.

Do they just have to live with this limitation, or is there a solution that would solve their (and my) problems?

Thanks,

- Joe
Post #: 1
RE: OWA access with login restrictions in place - 17.Oct.2012 7:42:14 AM   
de.blackman

Hi,

This is not the first time i've seen this issue before and it all comes from the misunderstanding what the Logon Hours settings really does! This setting is on a user account and it determines what time of day the user account is allowed to authenticate to active directory. Please note the main word here is "authenticate"! Logging into OWA, you are being authenticated! Logging onto a workstation, you are being authenticated! Anytime your credentials are required to access active directory resources (like Exchange), the logon hours will affect it. What you are seeing is actually the way it is supposed to work!

I wouldnt say that the users have to live with it because you are the administrator and it is up to you to decide if they have to live with it or not! You are placing these restrictions so as to avoid backup of exchange??? Well if you are doing a proper online backup of exchange then users connecting will not affect the process at all!

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to jlatulip)
Post #: 2
RE: OWA access with login restrictions in place - 17.Oct.2012 8:34:43 AM   
jlatulip

Thanks for the reply. I am performing a proper online backup of Exchange, and not concerned with it not being properly backed up. The backup process that I don't want affected is a custom program that locks files when users are accessing it and the backup will skip over these files during the backup if they are locked. If I allow users to login interactively during this time period and they have the ability to run these programs it can interfere with the backup process - thats what I am trying to avoid.

I do realize the reasons why my user community can't access OWA during the restricted access window, and quite aware of the authentication process and its implications.

I posted this question to ask the community for alternatives, if any, and not looking for sarcasm regarding what Login Hours really does, the definition of authentication, and the overuse of exclamation marks! I thought this would be a good forum to look for such advice from some of the more experienced individuals out there in the trenches - some clever work-arounds or creative login scripts to check the time-of-day instead of using the login time restriction.

Thanks for your "help"

- Joe

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Outlook Web Access >> OWA access with login restrictions in place Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter