• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2003 transition to Exchange 2010

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Exchange 2003 transition to Exchange 2010 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2003 transition to Exchange 2010 - 15.Jan.2013 6:50:27 AM   
faulkner.cj

Dear all

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I wonder if you would be able to offer me any advice/postings/url threads that may help in my current task, the transition of Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010.

We have a very simple setup, we have one Exchange 2003 server running on Windows server 2003. We have purchased a new server which is running ( fully patched ) Windows server 2008 standard edition.

We have one SSL certificate used on the existing Exchange 2003 server to support RPC over HTTPs/OWA.

We are due to move to Exchange 2010, as there is no clear upgrade path I have been reading the various documentation for help with the transition. There are however several key areas of which I was hoping for some further clarification and also if any of the possible setup situations are feasible.

The pre-req checks have been done, in terms of the domain and forest functionality levels, these have already been raised. Exchange 2003 is running at the correct service pack levels. The relevant server roles have also been pre-installed, i.e. IIS, Net framework, AD DS and AD LDS. The Exchange 2010 deployment wizard has been run on the existing Exchange server and we are good to go.

Before progressing further I would like to ask if any of the following setup scenarios are possible. Primarily because if possible I would like to break down the steps into reasonable sized chunks, apply the cup of coffee rule, and then continue the next day.

1. The installation of Exchange 2010 leaving the Exchange 2003 setup in place and fully functional with no changes, leaving mailboxes on the existing server.

2. The installation of Exchange 2010 leaving the Exchange 2003 setup in place, moving mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to 2010 and then if necessary using a VPN solution to provide remote mail access without the need to replace/move/purchase a new certificate.

I am not sure if any of the above are possible so please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Failing the above setup scenarios as being possible there are a couple of questions which I am hoping you would be able to help with.

1. Is it possible to run the Exchange active directory prep, stop, apply the cup of coffee rule, and pick up on the install the next day, simply to check that once the active directory changes are made, nothing is broken.

2. Can I simply move my existing SSL certificate from the Exchange 2003 server to the Exchange 2010 server without the need to purchase a new one.

As I understand it the setup install is as follows, if anyone knows of any caveats to this I would be greatful for the heads up.

1. Raise domain/forest functionality levels
2. Check Exchange 2003 service pack levels.
3. Put Exchange 2003 into native mode
4. Although I dont have multiple exchange servers, the SuppressStateChanges will be applied to the existing server
5. Pre-deployment analyzer for Exchange 2010, run and topology verified to be correct without issue.
6. Patch OS on new server
7. Apply server roles as above, iis etc
8. Change 'Net Tcp Port Sharing' to automatic
9. Run the Exchange 2010 setup in typical mode.
10. At this point there is some confusion. When filling in the 'Configure Client Access server external domain' - can I use my existing internet facing dns, so for example 'mail.acme.com' which applies to my already existing Exchange 2003 server and SSL cert?
11. Mail flow, pick existing Exchange 2003 server to setup mail flow between both servers.
12. Complete readiness checks, enter product key

This handles the basics, not including public folder replication etc.

Please feel free to slap me round the head for any obvious or glaring errors, best practices etc. I am very happy to learn from my peers and be steered in the correct direction.

Again thank you for the taking the time to read this post.

--
CJ
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2003 transition to Exchange 2010 - 15.Jan.2013 11:11:12 AM   
admin503

Hi

Being an exchange admin, I would like to suggest few articles. Read them all, I hope they will assist you up to the mark:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sysadmin/exchange/upgrade-exchange-2003-to-exchange-2010/

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/exchangesvrdeploylegacy/thread/f9c69120-a0bb-495a-ba2f-f74d62e6e303

http://exchangeserverpro.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Exchange-Server-2003-to-2010-Migration-Guide-V1.3-Planning-Chapter.pdf

Adom Watson (Technology Expert)
http://www.ost2pstpro.com/

(in reply to faulkner.cj)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2003 transition to Exchange 2010 - 19.Jan.2013 4:58:54 AM   
Jeromederick

I also got one article which explained the migration.. I think this article would be good to understand the problem and other issues..

http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000234.htm

(in reply to admin503)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2003 transition to Exchange 2010 - 21.Jan.2013 1:51:08 AM   
faulkner.cj

Thank you to both of you for your input and url's. There is a lot of information here which I hope will help me to plan for a controlled and problem free transition.

Many thanks

(in reply to Jeromederick)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Exchange 2003 transition to Exchange 2010 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter