• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outlook Clients Disconnecting / OWA Unreachable

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Outlook Clients Disconnecting / OWA Unreachable Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outlook Clients Disconnecting / OWA Unreachable - 30.Jan.2013 10:08:14 PM   
NarayanM

We are having a very strange Exchange/Outlook issue and hope someone can help. We are running Exchange 2010 SP2 RU4 and Office 2007 SP2. We service about 300 employees spread between 25 branches.
Starting last weekend we’ve had a handful of users at branches complain about Outlook constantly disconnecting and reconnecting from Exchange. These are users from 4 different branches and not all users in a branch are experiencing this issue. The branch users are connecting to corporate using an IPSEC tunnel negotiated by a hardware client or router.

Our testing has revealed:
1. A user experiencing connectivity issues can ping the server
2. A user experiencing connectivity issues CANNOT access OWA. OWA will try to connect and time out.
3. A user who cannot load OWA can still ping our OWA address, get the internal IP as resolution, and get a response
4. A user who cannot load OWA CAN load the IIS default page at http://serverIP
5. A user who is experiencing issues can log into our terminal server or another PC at the branch and have full connectivity
6. When connectivity issues are occurring for a user, other users in the same branch can connect and function as normal
7. The connectivity problem comes and goes, it will be active for a few hours and then go away. Sometimes a client restart will ‘fix’ the issue and sometimes it won’t.
We’re really at our wits end and not sure where to go from here. We’ve been trying to figure out the commonality between impacted users and are really finding no common ground. Different branches, different exchange databases, different VPN groups, etc.
Any ideas or suggestions for logs/monitoring?
Thanks,
Manu
Post #: 1
RE: Outlook Clients Disconnecting / OWA Unreachable - 31.Jan.2013 8:39:58 AM   
pjhutch

A few questions:
1. How many Client Access Servers (CAS) do you have?
2. Are they load balanced?
3. If load balanced, are you using Windows Load Balancing or a hardware load balancer?
4. Are you using TMG, ISA or someother Firewall for access to CAS servers?
5. Have you checked timeout settings on the Public/Private settings on CAS servers, load balancer and firewall settings?

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator
University of Huddersfield

(in reply to NarayanM)
Post #: 2
RE: Outlook Clients Disconnecting / OWA Unreachable - 31.Jan.2013 11:15:28 AM   
NarayanM

Thank you for your response.

1. We're running on a single server with multiple roles installed. (We're doing an upgrade this year to split some of that out). So a single CAS server.

2. NA

3. NA

4. The CAS server is behind a PIX firewall, that manages access for OWA and ActiveSync. The Outlook clients are all on the same inside network, connecting to the CAS server through an IPsec tunnel.

5. We've not specifically checked timeout settings, if you could give some direction on where/what to check for specifically, that'd be appreciated.

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 3
RE: Outlook Clients Disconnecting / OWA Unreachable - 31.Jan.2013 4:34:21 PM   
fredygarcia

turns out it was a bad NIC card driver on these users! damn you Realtek gigbit 7.45. The driver was unable to process https requests on our mail server. Updating the client drivers fixed the issue.

the weird thing is that the problem was instigated by a Proliant support pack upgrade on our mail server. definitely one of the strangest errors i've ever had to deal with.

(in reply to NarayanM)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Outlook Clients Disconnecting / OWA Unreachable Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter