• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Give Service User access to all contact folders

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Give Service User access to all contact folders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Give Service User access to all contact folders - 13.Feb.2013 4:48:20 AM   
posbis

Hi

We are a software developing company in the VoIP environment. One of our products called Directory Framework ( Directory Framework ) needs access to all exchange 2010 mailbox users Contacts folders (using EWS). The software is running as a service and depending on the user who queries the Directory Framework gives consolidated directory information from various sources such as electronic phonebook, CSV lists, users Exchange Contact folder, Active Directory, ... So the AD/EWS user the service is using to connect to EWS needs access to all mailbox users Contacts folder to be able to get information from the Contact folder of the user querying.

I know that this can be done through Add-MailboxFolderPermissions/Set-MailboxFolderPermissions easily but one of our customers doesn't like the fact that Outlook users can see this on Outlook Contacts folder permissions and maybe remove the Reviewer right again.

So some basic questions:

- Is it possible to give the AD/EWS user access to all mailbox users Contact folders without the users beeing able to remove that right again (Scheduled Job always reapplying the permissions is not a solution ) ?

- Can this be set in a way that new users get these permissions applied automatically (such as a default) ?

I know that there are the Cmdlet extension agents but this is a dangerous road to go as it could break your Exchange server environment if scripts are faulty.

So any idea which is the easiest way to give an AD/EWS user full access to each mailbox users Contacts folders ?

Regards,
Oliver
Post #: 1
RE: Give Service User access to all contact folders - 14.Feb.2013 5:08:00 AM   
admin503

Hi Friend,

I am not elaborating the whole steps here as they r long. Just go with MSDN article, It will solve you out:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124097.aspx

Adom Watson (Technology Expert)
http://www.ost2pstpro.com/

(in reply to posbis)
Post #: 2
RE: Give Service User access to all contact folders - 14.Feb.2013 8:43:35 AM   
posbis

Hello

Thanks for the input but unfortunately we already tried that; it didn't work.

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity user1 -User user2 -AccessRights ReadPermission

user2 = user needing access to user1's contact folder

It seems that Add-MailboxPermission with ReadPermission does not give read access to the user1's contact folder.

Add-MailboxFolderPermission with Reviewer rights works but the user can remove it from Outlook.

Regards,
Oliver

(in reply to admin503)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Give Service User access to all contact folders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter