• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Recipient policy to for retention period

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Recipient policy to for retention period Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recipient policy to for retention period - 14.May2013 3:51:48 PM   
jreed72

Not sure if I've taken a wrong turn here, hopefully someone can give me some direction.

Running XP clients with Outlook 2003, on an exchange 2003 back end.

What my intent was to be able to delete all mail over a certain time from a mail enabled public folder. No archiving or such necessary, just need to delete after "x" days. I went to set this up through recipient policy as this appeared to do exactly what I wanted. I created new Policy Have this in General area:

(&(&(&(& (mailnickname=) (| (objectCategory=publicFolder) )))(objectCategory=publicFolder)(mailNickname=Fax)))

When I select "Mailbox manager Setting" tab, I have selected Inbox with appropriate age. To make sure this is working before actually deleting files I just have "report generated" selected. Made sure I selected "Apply Policy now" Gone to Server and set up a schedule. End result is this report:

The Microsoft Exchange Server Mailbox Manager has completed processing mailboxes Started at: 2013-05-13 09:35:04 
Completed at: 2013-05-13 09:35:04 
Mailboxes processed: 0 
Messages moved: 0 
Size of moved messages: 0.00 KB 
Deleted messages: 0 
Size of deleted messages: 0.00 KB

I would imagine that the process mailboxes should at least report a 1 if the policy is working. As I'm just running report only, I'm assuming that is why rest of categories aren't reporting anything.

Any thoughts, ideas, or mistakes I may have made?

Also have a default Policy under recipient policies that is reporting as "lowest" priority, and new one I created is list as priority "1" Would this default policy be causing issues?
Post #: 1
RE: Recipient policy to for retention period - 14.May2013 9:21:34 PM   
Gulab

Make sure New Policy is set to Lowest and than run it.

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to jreed72)
Post #: 2
RE: Recipient policy to for retention period - 15.May2013 11:06:03 AM   
jreed72

I went to try that Gulab, but I can't "move" policy as the options are greyed out. Just so you are aware I am fairly news to AD administration and doing my best to figure out things through help from great individuals like you and google

(in reply to jreed72)
Post #: 3
RE: Recipient policy to for retention period - 15.May2013 11:21:16 AM   
Gulab

My Bad on the Default Policy.... :(
How are you assigning the new policy on Mailbox...
I would check the app log on the exchange server if there is anything related to the issue. Did you restarted the server to give a shot?

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to jreed72)
Post #: 4
RE: Recipient policy to for retention period - 15.May2013 11:54:54 AM   
jreed72

quote:

How are you assigning the new policy on Mailbox...

At the moment it is applied to "inbox" and "all other mail folders" I have an age of 2 days and any size. And there is content in the folder that meets this criteria. Do I need to add anything to the folder list? I just noticed the ability to do this, but it seems that it is just a user defined value, not pulled from AD in any way?
As mentioned before, I am just generating a report to see if this works before actually changing to a delete option.

quote:

I would check the app log on the exchange server

Nothing of real note here, Just an information entry stating:
The Recipient Update Service is starting a rebuild of CN=Public Folder Fax ....

quote:

Did you restarted the server to give a shot?

I have not restarted server, and likely won't be able to do that any time soon as have very active office.

(in reply to Gulab)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> Recipient policy to for retention period Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter