• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

High RPC Latency with BES

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Mobility >> High RPC Latency with BES Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
High RPC Latency with BES - 9.Jul.2013 9:16:32 AM   
tfd6412

Hi All,

We're having a big issue with RPC Latency on our mailbox servers. RPC requests and latency will skyrocket at times making Outlook clients completely unresponsive. Running the Performance Troubleshooter shows that the besadmin account seems to be the cause.

In an attempt to troubleshoot this, we've removed the custom throttling policy that was recommended by Blackberry to see if that would make a dent and it hasn't. Instead, it's caused performance degradation on the BES. We're maxed out on available RAM available for the MB servers at 32 GB each. All servers are in a Hyper-V environment. Our setup is as follows:

All servers Exchange 2010 SP3 Enterprise Edition
1x CAS/HT
2x MB (DAG)
750 Mailboxes (users, shared, resources)
155 BES users

The Performance Troubleshooter found the following:

The user 'besadmin' was issuing 23.84 MAPI operations per second, which is higher than expected. If a user is issuing more than 10 operations per second for a more than a few minutes at a time, this usually indicates that they are running a resource-intensive application

The Exchange Server User Monitor (ExMon) RPC data indicates that the user 'besadmin' is performing online operations of type MAPI operation "QueryRows" which account for 53.03% of this users MAPI CPU load.

RPCs issued by the user 'besadmin' are consuming a large amount (39%) of server RPC processor time. MAPI client versions: 1536.41012.0. User's IP Addresses: x.x.x.x.

The user 'besadmin' issued a MAPI operation that took 191.86, which is longer than the threshold of 30 seconds. Operations that take longer than 5 - 15 seconds may cause Outlook to hang or display a Cancel dialog. MAPI client versions: 1536.41012.0. User's IP Addresses: x.x.x.x

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

< Message edited by tfd6412 -- 9.Jul.2013 9:18:07 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: High RPC Latency with BES - 18.Jul.2013 7:28:13 AM   
tfd6412

Well we have taken each mailbox server from 24GB of RAM all the way up to 64 GB and we're still having these RPC latency spikes.

The issue stops completely when we turn off the BES. I'm at a loss of what to do here.

Can we possibly spin up another MB server with a separate database and offload the BES users to it?

EDIT: Opened a support request with MSFT after RPC latency spiked and maintained around 2500ms for an extended period of time. Will post back with whatever come up with.

< Message edited by tfd6412 -- 18.Jul.2013 12:41:26 PM >

(in reply to tfd6412)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Mobility >> High RPC Latency with BES Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter