• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

EX2K3 Database move from one server to another

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> EX2K3 Database move from one server to another Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
EX2K3 Database move from one server to another - 2.Oct.2013 12:59:06 AM   
lcsgeek

Dismounted Mailbox Store and Public Folder Store. Copied the database files to another server. Scratched original server and reinstalled SBS2003. New installe is running just fine with empty Exchange. Goal is to copy in the old database files and mount them. Problem is that we are receiving the following when we try to mount the Stores after copying in old dbs:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeIS
Event Category: General
Event ID: 1088
Date: 10/2/2013
Time: 12:42:44 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DBA1
Description:
The information store could not be loaded because the distinguished name (DN) /O=FIRST ORGANIZATION/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN= of message database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (DBA1)" does not match the DN of directory /O=DBA/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=.

The database may have been restored to a computer that is in an organization or site different than the original database.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: EX2K3 Database move from one server to another - 2.Oct.2013 6:00:38 AM   
Gulab

I appreciate you honest plan, but it's not going to work, as Exchange 2003 doesn't support database portability. Which means mount the database of Server1 on Server2. This feature is only available on exchange server 2007 onward.
In your case, minimum requirement is, Server Name and AG has to be the same.
Best option you have is, to migrate from one server to another.

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to lcsgeek)
Post #: 2
RE: EX2K3 Database move from one server to another - 2.Oct.2013 7:28:59 AM   
lcsgeek

Thanks for your response Gulab,
So recovering from a disaster with Exchange 2003 requires one to have a complete backup of AD and Exchange in order to recover. It doesn't matter that we have a clean copy of the database files, if we don't have AD to go with it we have no recovery option? This is SBS2003 and a legit small business (less than 20 users/mailboxes) with a single server doing AD and Exchange on a single box. The server's hard disks failed and we had to replace drives and reinstall from the ground up. Everything is back except Exchange. We've named the server the same but AD obviously isn't the same as the previous install. There is an off chance of us putting the old drives back in the system and booting it. Would there be a recover path while maintaining the new SBS2003 install that we have just created if we could boot off the old drives?

< Message edited by lcsgeek -- 2.Oct.2013 7:54:32 AM >

(in reply to Gulab)
Post #: 3
RE: EX2K3 Database move from one server to another - 2.Oct.2013 3:30:24 PM   
Gulab

Unfortunately, No there's no other path at least native Microsoft path.
But you can use third party application to recover emails from your .edb files.

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to lcsgeek)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> EX2K3 Database move from one server to another Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter