• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

DPM 2012 with multi-site DAG causes copy to fail and suspend

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> DPM 2012 with multi-site DAG causes copy to fail and suspend Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DPM 2012 with multi-site DAG causes copy to fail and su... - 27.Nov.2013 11:25:57 PM   
Foxyof9

Hello: We have 4 MBX servers, 3 CAS, all running Exch2010 wSP3-RU6 on 2008R2 SP1:

1 DAG, 3 DBs

Site 1 has 2 CAS, 3 MBX ; 1 DPM server 2012 backing up the 3 DBs as a full/master between two of the MBX machines

Site 2 (DR site) has 1 MBX, 1 CAS ; 1 DPM server 2012 backing up from the MBX server in that site, all 3 DBs as a copy/slave.

Site 2 MBX server hosts no active/mounted instance of the DBs, all just copies.

Everything works perfectly aside from running back-ups in site 2, otherwise all DBs remain healthy for copy status, WAN between sites is about 100Mbps, block mode is enabled.

The problem begins when running backups in Site 2, more often than not it will cause the DB it is trying to backup to become suspended/failed, requiring admin intervention. Once this happens we have to make it update the index.

We also get the below error:

"The log copier was unable to communicate with server 'MBX-02.domain.com'. (sever hosting mounted instance) The copy of database 'MDB01\MBX-05' (Server in Site 2) is in a disconnected state. The communication error was: A timeout occurred while communicating with server 'MBX-02'. Error: "A connection could not be completed within 15 seconds." The copier will automatically retry after a short delay."

As best we can figure the error indicates that when backing up a copy DB, the VSS service on the MBX server hosting the copy must get the logs from the host with the active (mounted) instance of that DB. It seems that this connection fails at some point during the transaction. Though it is unclear to us if this error is secondary (after the DB fails and becomes suspended, since it says the copy is in a disconnected state) or if it is the primary issue.

Just wondering if anyone here has come by this before. As it is we cannot do off-site backups of this MBX server in site 2, not until we can solve why it makes DBs get in to unhealthy states.

Thanks.

< Message edited by Foxyof9 -- 27.Nov.2013 11:27:34 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: DPM 2012 with multi-site DAG causes copy to fail an... - 21.Jan.2014 6:15:33 PM   
Foxyof9

Bump. No one has come by this?

(in reply to Foxyof9)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> DPM 2012 with multi-site DAG causes copy to fail and suspend Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter