• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Scrutinize my cross-forest Ex2007 and Ex2010 to Ex2013 migration plan

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2013] >> Migration >> Scrutinize my cross-forest Ex2007 and Ex2010 to Ex2013 migration plan Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scrutinize my cross-forest Ex2007 and Ex2010 to Ex2013 ... - 21.May2014 11:55:06 AM   
troy12n

Due to mergers and acquisitions, I am in a scenario where I need to migrate two Exchange Orgs in separate forests to my Org / forest. Also, I am in the middle of an Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013 migration myself... fun times.

Anyway, for purposes of my post, consider this scenario:
DomainA - my domain. Exchange 2007 SP3 and Exchange 2013 SP1 in coexistance mode, AD 2003 native mode. In the middle of an internal migration of all mailboxes from 2007 to 2013.
DomainB - one of the "acquired" domains. Exchange 2010 SP3 UR5, AD 2003 native mode
DomainC - one of the "acquired" domains. Exchange 2007 SP3 UR13, AD 2003 native mode

I need to "merge, move, migrate" all AD objects and mailboxes from DomainB and DomainC to DomainA.

Plan:
1. Verify full network connectivity and DNS resolution between DomainB and DomainA and between Domain C and DomainA
2. Establish two-way transitive trusts between DomainB and DomainA - DONE
3. Establish two-way transitive trusts between DomainC and DomainA - DONE
4. Verify all trusts are working, both ways. Test adding rights to resources in both domains - DONE
5. Disable SID filtering on all domains via GPO, set the forest trusts to disable sid filtering via netdom - DONE
6. Set up ADMT Server with SQLExpress and ADMT 3.2 on one server in DomainB and DomainC - DONE
7. Set up "Passwerd sync DLL Tool" on a DC in DomainB and DomainC - DONE
8. Verify ADMT is working correctly by migrating an account from DomainB to DomainA including SID history and Group Membership and password sync - DONE
9. Verify ADMT is working correctly by migrating an account from DomainC to DomainA including SID history and Group Membership and password sync - DONE

So by this point, I think I am pretty slick and things are working great, right? Not so much. I attempt to do test Exchange mailbox migrations and things go to hell. Especially from the 2007 side of things.

I find out that the ADMT, apparently by design does not migrate certain mandatory AD attributes which are required by Exchange. I then find out that there is a powershell script Prepare-MoveRequest.ps1 which can fix some of these things. I take a look at it and I am "deer in headlights" mode. I consider myself pretty decent at powershell, but I cannot comprehend some of the things going on in this script. Plus it does not work on Exchange 2007.

So I take a step back and think hard about this. I had originally planned on doing the new-mailboxmoverequest in "pull" mode from Exchange 2013 DomainA. I think what I am going to do instead is this procedure:

10. Export all mailboxes from DomainB to .PST files via powershell (wait... wait...)
11. Migrate all user objects, group objects, contacts, etc from DomainB to DomainA via ADMT
12. Create new "dial-tone" Exchange 2013 mailboxes in DomainA for each migrated user account from DomainB
13. Add DomainB as an accepted domain in DomainA's Exchange Org
14. Move DomainB's MX record to point to the external MTA for DomainA
15. Add DomainB email domain name as an accepted email address for each migrated user via email address policy
16. Import pst files via powershell for each mailbox created in step 12
17. Wait... wait... wait some more, eventually this will finish
18. Desktop team re-images all DomainB PC's with DomainA image, joins these PC's to DomainA (not my task... but will happen at the same time this is occuring)
19. Users log in to newly imaged PC's using their migrated DomainA credentials and are able to open Outlook successfully and access resources (servers, shares) in DomainA and DomainB. Users able to receive mail from username@domainA and username@DomainB
18. Repeat steps 10-19 for DomainC to DomainA on a different date

I have tested this scenario and it works. But is very time consuming. I might find I have to set up mail enabled users on DomainA and use DomainA as a relay domain in a sort of phased migration approach. I have done this before. It's not a huge number of users we are talking about, a few hundred per domain. I have thousands in my DomainA, so that's why I am still in the middle of migrating from 2007 to 2013, they kind of sprung this on me arbitrarily. It was supposed to happen after we finished our 2007 to 2013 migration.

One question is about Archive Mailboxes in the 2010 DomainB, I assume those can be exported and imported like a normal mailbox? I have not tried this yet.

Thoughts and suggestions?

< Message edited by troy12n -- 21.May2014 12:12:58 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Scrutinize my cross-forest Ex2007 and Ex2010 to Ex2... - 24.May2014 2:35:31 PM   
troy12n

nobody wants to take a stab at this?

(in reply to troy12n)
Post #: 2
RE: Scrutinize my cross-forest Ex2007 and Ex2010 to Ex2... - 30.May2014 4:02:18 PM   
Ps047711

Troy, you may want to consider an automated solution, we have used this one in the past. http://www.priasoft.com/products-exchange-migration.aspx

Cheers.

(in reply to troy12n)
Post #: 3
RE: Scrutinize my cross-forest Ex2007 and Ex2010 to Ex2... - 5.Jun.2014 1:01:05 PM   
troy12n

quote:

ORIGINAL: ssmith181

Hi Troy,
Your preparation looks good but don't you think, it's too lengthy?
By the way, coming to your main concern.
Yes, archiving mailboxes can be easily imported/exported in exchange 2010.
It also will help you to regain control of your organization's messaging data by eliminating the need for personal store (.pst) files. It will also allow the users to store messages in an archive mailbox that’s accessible in Microsoft Exchange Server 2010.
For a better clarification, I would like to refer you at below few links :
http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2013/07/25/part-1-step-by-step-exchange-2007-to-2013-migration.aspx
http://exchangeserverpro.com/create-archive-mailbox-exchange-server-2010/
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/hh529934%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx
Further, to avoid any interruption and reduce the times consumed in such long process while you preparing to migrate mailboxes from exchange 2007 to 2013, you can have a look at this proficient application available at website (http://www.exchangemigrationtool.com/) that would also be a good approach to accomplish migration quickly.

Thanks for the reply. I am not terribly concerned about the time it will take to do this. As it is, I have to do a phased approach because we are migrating certain business units in a specific order. I was mainly concerned about the process. Like I said I was more concerned with the process, and I have duplicated it in my test domains so I think it should work.

One other thing, when doing the ADMT 3.2, I have been told it is best to migrate groups, then users, however when I did the groups migration, it also did user objects at the same time. Is this a bug?
Post #: 4
RE: Scrutinize my cross-forest Ex2007 and Ex2010 to Ex2... - 5.Jun.2014 1:15:24 PM   
troy12n

One other thing. Is it possible to do an new-mailboxexportrequest with date ranges in Exchange 2010? What about export-mailbox in 2007?

(in reply to troy12n)
Post #: 5
RE: Scrutinize my cross-forest Ex2007 and Ex2010 to Ex2... - 6.Jun.2014 5:34:52 AM   
amanda_lakai

Hi troy12n,
In Exchange 2010, you can do this by running the command:
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox Tony -ContentFilter {(Received -gt “01/01/2009") -and (Received -lt "01/01/2010")} -FilePath "\\SERVER01\PSTFileShare\Tony.pst"

For details, go to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607299(v=exchg.141).aspx
http://thoughtsofanidlemind.com/2011/10/21/date-range-exports-with-new-mailboxexportrequest/

I have found one relevant discussion, sharing it here.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/Q_26858766.html

(in reply to troy12n)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2013] >> Migration >> Scrutinize my cross-forest Ex2007 and Ex2010 to Ex2013 migration plan Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter