• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Mail showing as delivered, but not in message tracking

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Message Routing >> Mail showing as delivered, but not in message tracking Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mail showing as delivered, but not in message tracking - 30.Oct.2014 11:11:09 AM   
tony2345

We're running Exchange 2010 with 2 CAS/HT servers and 2 Mailbox in Production. We also have 1 CAS/HT and 1 Mailbox in our DR environment. We had someone email from their personal email yesterday syaign they were going to be late to a distribution list and individuals. When i search this through delivery reports, it finds it and shows the following.

Delivery Report for User ‎(user@domain.com)‎

Pending
10/8/2014 7:24 AM server.domain.local
Message was received by server.domain.local from na01-bn1-obe.outbound.protection.outlook.com.

Delivered
10/8/2014 7:24 AM server.domain.local
The message was successfully delivered.

This 100% was not delivered to any of the 15 people on the distribution list or the individuals. We also had someone scan something from a scanner and email to themselves. They did not receive it, but they were able to send to another person the same way.

Then i went to the Tracking Log Explorer through the Management console and searched this same email and nothing shows up.

I guess my question is, what is the difference between the Delivery Report and the Tracking Log? it is obviously somewhere on the server as I can see it hit it.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I am worried we are missing a lot more emails than we're aware of.

Thanks so much for your help.
Post #: 1
RE: Mail showing as delivered, but not in message tracking - 31.Dec.2014 3:59:20 AM   
prakashx86

Hi tony2345,

I beleive , Message tracking logs and Delivery reports both are shown from same server tracking logs only , But both have different interface and displaying methods.

Pls note That : Delivery Reports tracks messages sent by people using the Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Web App email clients. It doesn't track messages sent from POP or IMAP email clients, such as Windows Mail, Outlook Express, or Mozilla Thunderbird.

the message tracking log is a detailed record of all message activity as messages are transferred to and from the Transport service on Mailbox servers, mailboxes on Mailbox servers, and Edge Transport servers. You can use message tracking logs for message forensics, mail flow analysis, reporting, and troubleshooting.

I would suggest to check mail queue or Gateway Firewall\Anti spam filters logs for any blockage.

Ref :

http://howdouc.blogspot.in/2010/08/user-message-delivery-reports-in.html

http://mikepfeiffer.net/2012/01/generating-delivery-reports-and-tracking-messages-from-powershell/

Thanks,
Prakash

< Message edited by prakashx86 -- 31.Dec.2014 4:04:56 AM >

(in reply to tony2345)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Message Routing >> Mail showing as delivered, but not in message tracking Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter