Autodiscover fails 500 error (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Outlook Web Access



Message


Jon_Fleming -> Autodiscover fails 500 error (11.Nov.2014 9:51:30 AM)

Maye this isn't the right place because OWA is working fine but Autodiscover isn't.

Small Business Server 2008 Standard, Exchange 2007. Certificate is correct, URLs are correct, permissions of the virtual directory are correct, but the Remote Connectivity Analyzer fails. It was failing by not connecting to the correct server, but I fixed that yesterday. Now it connects to the server at both autodiscover.{me}.com and SRV redirect and verifies the cert, but when it tries to retrieve autodiscover.xml it gets:

quote:

The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer failed to obtain an Autodiscover XML response.

Additional Details

An HTTP 500 response was returned from IIS7.
HTTP Response Headers:
Content-Length: 1208
Content-Type: text/html
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 15:40:40 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Elapsed Time: 274 ms.


for both methods. I tried looking at it with Wireshark but it isn't decoding the SSL traffic even though I have the cert configured in Wireshark. The IIS7 log is pretty useless:

quote:

2014-11-11 15:45:35 192.168.7.250 POST /Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml - 443 - 157.56.138.141 Microsoft+Office/15.0+(Windows+NT+6.2;+Microsoft+Outlook+15.0.4615;+Pro;+MS+Connectivity+Analyzer) 500 23 50 641
2014-11-11 15:45:35 192.168.7.250 POST /Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml - 443 - 157.56.138.141 Microsoft+Office/15.0+(Windows+NT+6.2;+Microsoft+Outlook+15.0.4615;+Pro;+MS+Connectivity+Analyzer) 500 23 50 94
2014-11-11 15:45:37 192.168.7.250 POST /Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml - 443 - 157.56.138.141 Microsoft+Office/15.0+(Windows+NT+6.2;+Microsoft+Outlook+15.0.4615;+Pro;+MS+Connectivity+Analyzer) 500 23 50 360
2014-11-11 15:45:37 192.168.7.250 POST /Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml - 443 - 157.56.138.141 Microsoft+Office/15.0+(Windows+NT+6.2;+Microsoft+Outlook+15.0.4615;+Pro;+MS+Connectivity+Analyzer) 500 23 50 95


To make this even more fun, all my users are seeing Outlook pop up a dialog about server settings over and over again, obviously related to this.




Jon_Fleming -> RE: Autodiscover fails 500 error (11.Nov.2014 10:01:58 AM)

Weirder. I discovered it wasn't using the Autodiscover app pool and fixed that. Now the Aalyzer gives me:

quote:

A Web exception occurred because an HTTP 405 - MethodNotAllowed response was received from IIS7.
HTTP Response Headers:
Allow: GET, HEAD, OPTIONS, TRACE, COPY, PROPFIND, DELETE, MOVE, PROPPATCH, PUT, LOCK, UNLOCK
Content-Length: 1293
Content-Type: text/html
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:00:11 GMT
Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Elapsed Time: 280 ms.


The IIS log is the same, and if I try to browse to autodiscover.{me}.com\autodiscover I get:

quote:

Server Error in '/Autodiscover' Application.
Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Diagnostics, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.


Arrrrggggfhhhhh!




Jon_Fleming -> RE: Autodiscover fails 500 error (11.Nov.2014 10:25:32 AM)

Sheesh! Still getting the same response in Remote Connectivity Analyzer but I can now browse to https://autodiscover.{me}.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml.




Jon_Fleming -> RE: Autodiscover fails 500 error (11.Nov.2014 12:14:45 PM)

Fixed!

I ran the following in Exchange Shell:
Remove-AutoDiscoverVirtualDirectory -Identity "{my server}\Autodiscover (SBS Web Applications)"
New-AutoDiscoverVirtualDirectory -WebsiteName “SBS Web Applications” -BasicAuthentication $true -WindowsAuthentication $true 
Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity {my server} -AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri https://autodiscover.{my server}.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml


(on many non-SBS systems "SBS Web Applications" would be "Default Web Site")

Turns out that, contrary to many web sites, anonymous authentication should not be enabled for the autodiscover virtual directory, at least not in IIS7/Exchange 2007




Page: [1]