• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Moving (as in physically moving) an Excange 2010-box to new site and new domain

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2013] >> Migration >> Moving (as in physically moving) an Excange 2010-box to new site and new domain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving (as in physically moving) an Excange 2010-box to... - 18.Mar.2015 8:33:07 AM   
viola

Dear fellow Exchange-users/admins..

I'm facing a situation where we've been handed an Exchange-server (brand new hardware, platform license, Exchange license, etc.) that used to reside in a domain (which we have access to) and we are asked to install it in another (existing) domain which we have even "greater" access to.. The receiving domain does not use Exchange (as of today) and the AD is not in any way prepped for Exchange.. Hence a couple of questions..

Spent 2 hours with Google who, basically, tells me this cannot be done (which I refuse to believe..). It's a mail server for Petes sake.. I couldn't possibly be impossible to move it from a "network to another". Sure, we can buy a new server a new OS-license, a new Exchange license etc. (some $7.000), set that up (some 10 hours or so), migrate mailboxes by the means of some 3rd party tool blab la bla, more time spent, blalblalbal.. That seems just crazy when all I want to do is relocate it.

I'm not entirely new to Exchange (been around since v2.0) and have been administrating and supporting various boxes through the years but I'm by no means an expert (so be patient, please..)

1. I assume I need to prep the receiving AD with Exchange-objects. Can this be done from a SP3 Install Pack (which is the current SP-level of the box) with setup.exe /prepareAD /OrganizationName:"<the name of the existing Exchange Organization>".? Before this step is taken I doubt I can even join it in the receiving domain.

2. Once this is done and I've managed to join the computer in the receiving domain I assume I need to join it in appropriate AD-groups (which I, again, assume will be created by the /prepareAD) for Exchange purposes..

3. I, further, assume I need to re-tie the 45 something user mailboxes to the new user accounts that have been set up for those users in the receiving domain. Can this can be done through the Exchange Management Console or do I need to script this using Exchange Management Shell somehow?

4. Another question which tickles my brain is how the Exchange server will react to a new host name (as the receiving domain is called something completely different). Thoughts on that?

I'm sure I should ask even more questions but I'll start out this journey with "only" these four..

/V

< Message edited by viola -- 18.Mar.2015 8:57:49 AM >
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2013] >> Migration >> Moving (as in physically moving) an Excange 2010-box to new site and new domain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter