• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

ping the MAPI Mail Store fail

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> ping the MAPI Mail Store fail Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ping the MAPI Mail Store fail - 27.Mar.2015 5:59:56 PM   
AES2

Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 8-v2 as a component of SBS 2011 (Windows 2008 R2 SP1). Only one NIC. Exchange on a DC has issues, but until then it was supported on SBS as a single server.

A pfSense firewall forwards 25, 80, 443, and 6001-6004 to sbs11.mydomain.local and a few non-3389 ports for RDP to various nodes. No other port forwarding, no certificates in the firewall, no decoding and re-encoding SSL/TLS packets.

Local DNS server has an entry for mail2.mydomain.COM and goes to sbs11.mydomain.LOCAL. Public DNS has mail2.mydomain.com going to the single Comcast address, and Exchange has a trusted certificate for mail2.mydomain.com and a self-signed certificate for sbs11.mydomain.local. No autodiscover DNS or certificate.

ClientAuthenticationMethod : Basic, IISAuthenticationMethods : {Basic,NTLM}

ActiveSync works on a Windows Phone and an iPad. Manually configured (no Autodiscover) Outlook 2013 and 2011 for Mac work. OWA works from IE on Windows 7 and 8.1 and Safari on a MacBook to mail2.mydomain.com/owa. I can telnet mail2.mydomain.com 25 and 6001-6004. All those work from both inside and outside the LAN. All that makes me believe DNS and firewall are correct.

Remote Connectivity Analyzer, Outlook Connectivity (not Autodiscover), Manually specify server settings, RPC proxy server, Exchange server, Mutual authentication principal name all mail2.mydomain.com, RPC proxy authentication method Basic and NTLM (tried both) passes

Attempting to resolve the host name mail2.mydomain.com in DNS.
Testing TCP port 443 on host mail2.mydomain.com to ensure it's listening and open.
Testing the SSL certificate to make sure it's valid. (Many sub-tests)
Checking the IIS configuration for client certificate authentication.
- Client certificate authentication wasn't detected.
- Accept/Require Client Certificates isn't configured.

Then it fails

Attempting to ping the MAPI Mail Store endpoint with identity: mail2.mydomain.com:6001.
- The attempt to ping the endpoint failed.
- Tell me more at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/db543644-c252-47ee-a70b-4f60770083dc.aspx
- The RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE error (0x6ba) was thrown by the RPC Runtime process.

I wish I knew what ping means in that message. As I wrote above I can telnet to that port. The tell me more link has a few suggestions that I tried and the rest of their advice is for earlier versions of Exchange. Other suggestions said put NetBIOS and FQDN names in hosts I put both sbs11 and mail2 in, tried one at a time NIC address and 127.0.0.1 and disable IPv6. Others said change some IIS configuration numbers. Done, rebooted, same problem.

With ActiveSync, Outlook, and OWA all working I wouldn't care, except this problem is blocking migration to Office 365, which I need to do before the wheels fall of the old server.
Post #: 1
RE: ping the MAPI Mail Store fail - 7.Apr.2015 12:46:26 PM   
AES2

Get-OutlookAnywhere showed ExternalHostName wrong.mydomain.com.

To fix it Get-OutlookAnywhere | Set-OutlookAnywhere -ExternalHostName 'correct.mydomain.com'

There were a number of other places where that wrong name was used. Finding and fixing them all solved it.

(in reply to AES2)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> ping the MAPI Mail Store fail Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter