• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

mail being moved between internal servers getting delayed

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2013] >> Message Routing >> mail being moved between internal servers getting delayed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
mail being moved between internal servers getting delayed - 17.Apr.2015 8:18:48 AM   
dfriend

Hey guys, I've setup a new Exchange 2013 system, I have 3 Exchange boxes, all servers are both CAS & MBX. All 3 are also members of my DAG and replicate my primary user database. Each server is Server 2012 and Exchange is CU7. At first this setup was working great. Our user DB is only about 20GB.

We recently started having trouble when we re-located one of the 3 boxes to an off-site location, and its connected via a VPN tunnel back to our main office. We were having connectivity issues with this 3rd server, and that is when we started seeing some delays with email delivery, so I started looking at some delivery reports to try and figure out why. What we see is that someone would send an email to another user within the same database, but the delivery report shows that instead of just delivering the email, it would send it from one server to another, here is an example:

Submitted
4/16/2015 9:24 AM V-EXCH-1
The message was submitted to v-exch-1.tenplus.lan.

Pending
4/16/2015 9:24 AM v-exch-2.tenplus.lan
Message was received by v-exch-2.tenplus.lan from V-EXCH-1.tenplus.lan.

4/16/2015 9:25 AM v-exch-2.tenplus.lan
The message has been transferred from v-exch-2.tenplus.lan to V-EXCH-1.tenplus.lan.

Delivered
4/16/2015 9:25 AM v-exch-1.tenplus.lan
The message was successfully delivered.

In this example there was no visible delay to delivery since both servers are in house. But we got some delays and the delivery reports that V-EXCH-1 would try and send the message to V-EXCH-3 (the server that located off-site), and if that server wasn't responding at the moment, it would just keep trying and and trying. Finally, an entire day later, the other Exchange user would get the email.

I'm trying to understand why Exchange does this 'transfer' between our servers instead of just delivering the message. And, in the case that V-EXCH-3 was not available, why did Exchange not quickly figure that out and not keep trying to transfer the message to the non-responsive server?

If anyone has ideas I'm all ears, I haven't had any luck with figure this out so far!
Post #: 1
RE: mail being moved between internal servers getting d... - 17.Apr.2015 8:50:12 AM   
dfriend

UPDATE, its looking like the shadowredundancy is at fault, we ran the message header analyzer on one of the emails that got delayed, and this is what it reported. One the 3rd hop, it says submitting host was V-EXCH-3 and receiving host was V-EXCH-3, delay was 138 minutes, and type was 'ShadowRedundancy'

(in reply to dfriend)
Post #: 2
RE: mail being moved between internal servers getting d... - 17.Apr.2015 9:44:13 AM   
dfriend

I would love to leave ShadowRedundancy enabled, but exclude this co-located server from it, is that possible?

(in reply to dfriend)
Post #: 3
RE: mail being moved between internal servers getting d... - 20.Apr.2015 11:02:09 AM   
dfriend

it turns out my issue was DNS-related, check that your DNS servers settings are correct!

(in reply to dfriend)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2013] >> Message Routing >> mail being moved between internal servers getting delayed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter