• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Send connectors and priority

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Send connectors and priority Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Send connectors and priority - 14.Aug.2015 2:10:54 AM   
Neko13

Using Exchange 2007 here with a send connector that has an address mask of *, and routes everything directly to the internet by means of the MX records.

One vendor now wants to receive mail we send to them (their specific domains) on a specific smarthost on their end instead of the MX record.

Created a new send connector, with the three domains affected filled it, pointed at the smarthost for it, and sent a test mail. According to message tracking Exchange still uses the MX record.

Checked the cost for the various SMTP entries for the send connectors, and opted to move our default SMTP Internet connector to a cost of 10 instead of the default of 1. I left the new send connector for the three domains on a cost of 1.

In my view:
* the most restrictive send connector should apply (so if I send mail to domain1.com and one send connector has that domain listed it will be used).
* the send connector with the lowest cost should be used to route traffic to it's destination.

Even after restarting the MS Transport service (which shouldn't be required from everything I've read), Exchange still uses it's standard SMTP connector for * to push the mail out to the MX record on the domain instead of the smarthost.

Am I missing something? Or is this completely not going to work?

Found this: http://www.ivasoft.biz/routebysender.shtml but for one mail destination that is going to see sporadic mail, I'm not going to buy something, and potentially toss over the entire Exchange config to get that in place.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Send connectors and priority Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter