• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange SBS 2003 -> Exchange 2013, opinions

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2013] >> Migration >> Exchange SBS 2003 -> Exchange 2013, opinions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange SBS 2003 -> Exchange 2013, opinions - 16.Aug.2015 9:21:03 AM   
urbanriot

I'm aiding a friend in transitioning, in a way, from Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 to Microsoft Windows Server 2012 + Microsoft Exchange 2013 and I was looking for some opinions on direction that would allow this to be done with minimal stress, minimal time on my side, and no downtime.

Notes on the site:
- The SBS 2003 server will be staying in some fashion, still hosting files, printers, and receives their company faxes through Microsoft Fax (no modem on new server).
- 15 or so users with a combined Exchange database usage close to the 75 GB limit.
- Heavy use of public folders at the 75 GB limit.
- Many hours in fine tuning group policies which were 'refreshed' with Windows 7.
- The users have roaming profiles with redirected folders to a home directory.
- SBS 2003 pop collector will be transitioned to local hosting on the Exchange 2013

So I have two ideas on completing this task

1) I've read various guides and threads on the internet suggesting the installation of a migratory demo product server with SBS 2008 or Windows Server 2008 + Exchange 2010, to get Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2013 and retaining everything without issue.

This to me seems like a lot of time to get from point A to point B with the potential for time wasting issues as I know from past experiences that SBS can be a tempermental beast. On the plus, this would allow me to migrate the group policies.

2) I've considered dropping the second server in as a different domain server on the same subnet and configuring trusts for the old domain server, then manually migrating the mailboxes and public folders over manually with PSTs. The idea sounds messy but it would allow for a 'clean' active directory and allow for both servers to function as-is with no downtime.

I'd also have to manually export / import the group policies but I could leave the roaming profiles, redirected folders, etc., where they are and let them migrate users between domains down the road.

At this point I'm leaning towards option 2 as it seems to require less of my time (this is more of a Saturday helping hand than it is a day job) and it overall seems like the better option to me...

Does anyone have any feedback or reasons why I might want to consider one option than the other, maybe something I've forgotten? Or issues I'll experience with option 2 having two different domain servers with 2 Exchange servers on the same subnet?
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange SBS 2003 -> Exchange 2013, opinions - 19.Aug.2015 5:51:28 AM   
marcusadamss

To make Exchange mailbox data entirely accessible, the need for a prominent third-party http://tinyurl.com/ngohqy6 that proves to be the best available solution that accurately recovers all sorts of Exchange Server data including messages, attachments, contacts, calendars, tasks, drafts, journals, notes, appointments, distribution lists, permanently deleted emails, Sent emails, folders, sub-folders, etc.

< Message edited by marcusadamss -- 19.Jan.2016 11:09:03 PM >
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2013] >> Migration >> Exchange SBS 2003 -> Exchange 2013, opinions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter