• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Two issues

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Two issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Two issues - 28.Oct.2004 8:29:00 PM   
wburdine

The first issue seems to be becoming more of an issue recently...we installed the Win2003/Ex2003 box last month and up till a week ago, no issues sending or recieving. The box has been cold booted and no new software or updates have been done in the recent 2 weeks.

Issue #1
From a users desktop using Outlook 2003 this error gets sent back to the users.
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: Office Relocation
Sent: 10/28/2004 10:53 AM
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
RECEIPANT@SOMEDOMAIN.com on 10/28/2004 10:53 AM
The destination server for this recipient could not be found in Domain Name Service (DNS). Please verify the email address and retry. If that fails, contact your administrator.
<exchangeservername.mydomain.com #5.4.0>

ISSUE #2
We get this message quite a bit in the last couple of days as well.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: Ofiice Relocation
Sent: 10/25/2004 10:52 AM
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
RECEIPANT@SOMEDOMAIN.com on 10/25/2004 10:52 AM
A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator.
<exchangeservername.mydomain.com #5.3.5>

(some info changed in above posts for security.)

Please help me out, this has pretty much shut down our ability to communicate.

Thanks
Will
(newbie to exchange)
Post #: 1
RE: Two issues - 29.Oct.2004 12:53:00 AM   
koggen

Well, these are usually pretty easy to resolve.

Issue 1: the Exchange server cannot resolve the IP address for the receiving server and is thus unable to send the message (i.e. where to send it). This could be caused by a) wrong DNS data for the domain in question - not much you can do about, b) problems with the DNS server that your Exchange server uses. You can specify on the SMTP Virtual Server in Exchange System Manager that Exchange should use a particular DNS server to resolve DNS records, e.g. your ISP's DNS server.

Issue 2: the error message really says it all. You have somehow created a mail loop. This can happen if a) you forward email to a specific account to another account which in turn is configured to forward to the first account, b) you route outbound email back to the same server (e.g. you configured the server to use it self as smarthost), or c) configured to forward email with unresolved recipients either to itself, or to another server with similar settings. Try to trace the delivery path using pen and papper and you'll often find out what's causing the problem.

// Johan

(in reply to wburdine)
Post #: 2
RE: Two issues - 29.Oct.2004 6:55:00 PM   
wburdine

Thanks Johan,
Problem #1 I set the SMTP VS to use my ISP's DNS servers, but the queue says its still there and states 'SMTP could not connect to any DNS Server; I did use the CheckDNS button on that screen and it verified that the FQDN is fine.

Problem #2 There is no fowarding done that I know of and I only have 1 Exchange server that has been running flawlessly since 9/25/04 with all updates in place, nothing new in the past 2weeks on the server. I understand your B and C points, but I don't have a smarthost configured and I don't even know how to do C, so it couldn't be done. My Exchange server was set up by an Windows 2003/DNS instructor that does this on the side. What I need to know what tools I could use and how I should use them and what the expected results should be.

Thanks
Will

(in reply to wburdine)
Post #: 3
RE: Two issues - 29.Oct.2004 11:47:00 PM   
wburdine

Looks Like I got it FIXED
It turns out that my ISP advertised the incorrect DNS addresses on their site and that was the main reason everything was failing. My Router, Windows servers, Exchange servers, DNS servers, everything had the wrong DNS nfo in it. Once I got all that corrected I used some step through techniques I put together out of a book called 'Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 24/Seven'.

Steps I took (leaving out some details)
1)event viewer
2)turned on logging on the Exchange server {monitoring tab /detail} turned on the following
MSExchangeIS\System\General - Max
MSExchangeIS\System\Connections - Max
MSExchangeIS\Mailbox\Transport General - Max
MSExchangeIS\Mailbox\Transport Sending - Max
MSExchangeIS\Mailbox\Transfer into Gateway -Max
3)used tools
nslookup -q=all _ldap._tcp.domainname.com
nslookup -qsrv _gc.tcp.domainname.com
these checked out all okay so my basic DNS was working internally.
4)used tools
nslookup -q=mx 'domaintoconnectto.com'
dnsdiag 'domaintoconnecto.com' -v 1
both showed strange returns or hung up so I knew something wasn't right, thats when I found out we had the wrond ISP DNS addy's everywhere, they were still there from our previous ISP, which caused issues.
After correcting everything went fine!

BTW dnsdiag can be found at Microsofts site (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=e0f616c6-8fa4-4768-a3ed-cc09aef7b60a&displaylang=en), just unpak and place in the windows\system32\inetsrv directory and run it from there!

Well thats it in a nut shell I hope this helps out others!

Not Bad for a Newbie who never had a test exchange server....everything get tossed in to production... [Roll Eyes] ANYWAY this reinforced something very important to me ALWAYS CHECK DNS VERY THROUGHLY!

(in reply to wburdine)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Two issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter