• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Is there a way to apply rule prior to forking/splitting message

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Office 365] >> Exchange Online >> Is there a way to apply rule prior to forking/splitting message Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is there a way to apply rule prior to forking/splitting... - 14.Jul.2017 4:10:41 AM   
alekseydiachok

Scenario: I need to create rule that will send external messages for processing to another server. This server changes message attachments in some way (for simplicity lets assume that attachment names are changed to "AttachmentNNNN.ext") and returns it back to Exchange Online. By saying "external" I mean any message, where sender specified at least one recipient outside the organization (To, CC, BCC), but may also contain internal recipients. Purely internal email must not be routed to the custom SMTP server for processing. By saying "purely internal" I mean messages where user specifies only internal recipients in To, CC, BCC fields.

I created 2 send connectors to organize described mail flow and a rule that uses connector with the 2 conditions:

1) "The sender is located..." + "Inside the organization"
2) "The recipient is located..." + "Outside the organization"

What I noticed is that external recipients receive processed message (with new attachment names), internal recipients - original one (with original attachment names).

During investigation I found out that Exchange Online forks/splits message into up to 4 message copies depending on email recipients. One copy for:

1) public internal recipients (internal To, CC)
2) private internal recipients (internal Bcc)
3) public external recipients (external To, CC)
4) private external recipients (external Bcc)

My rule did not route 1st and 2nd copies to the custom SMTP server, because their envelope contained only internal recipients.

In my case all email recipients (internal and external) must receive the same email. So I decided to change rule so that all 4 copies would be routed to the SMTP server. To achieve this I removed "The recipient is located..." condition from the rule. After the change all 4 copies were routed.

But this had negative effect. All purely internal emails (containing only internal recipients in all fields: To, CC, BCC) were also routed to the SMTP server.

Issue: I need configure system so that purely internal emails will not be sent to the custom SMTP server for processing. Only messages where sender specifies at least one external recipient must be routed by the rule.

I see to ways to achieve this but do not how to implement or code either of them:

1)configure Exchange Online so that purely internal emails are not routed to the SMTP server (only emails that have at least one external recipient). The only way to do it is to apply rule before Exchange Online forks message into 4 copies (when envelope contains all recipients).
2) somehow identify purely internal emails on the custom SMTP server.

Does anyone know how to implement either way?

Thanks,
Oleksii
Post #: 1
RE: Is there a way to apply rule prior to forking/split... - 18.Jul.2017 9:00:17 AM   
Victor Ivanidze

quote:

1)configure Exchange Online so that purely internal emails are not routed to the SMTP server (only emails that have at least one external recipient). The only way to do it is to apply rule before Exchange Online forks message into 4 copies (when envelope contains all recipients).
2) somehow identify purely internal emails on the custom SMTP server.

Hi Oleksii,

as far as I know you can't implement 1) so you only way is 2).

Good luck

Victor Ivanidze

(in reply to alekseydiachok)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Office 365] >> Exchange Online >> Is there a way to apply rule prior to forking/splitting message Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter