• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Delivery to the following recipients failed. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Delivery to the following recipients failed. - 31.Jan.2005 4:49:00 PM   
cpace

Hello all, I'm running Exchange 2003 here, and whenever any user tries to send an email inside of the domain, the email just disappears- the user does not recieve a bounce back. From outside of the domain, the user will recieve a bounce back. The following message is what gets bounced back:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

Dawn@example.com

Reporting-MTA: dns;mail.example.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;
Arrival-Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:34:58 -0700

Final-Recipient: rfc822;Dawn@example.com
Action: failed
X-Display-Name: Dawn

So, obviously the users aren't getting any mail. If I telnet to port 25 and send a test message, about 20 seconds later I will get a bounce in my mailbox. I can VRFY the account, and it says it will accept mail for Dawn@example.com. This problem is apparent with all of the users, not just the one user. I have also tried using dawn@phc.local (their local domain name), to also no avail.

I have tried looking at the Internet Message Format entry, as described in:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/276384/EN-US/

But everything is set to what it should be (the article apparently only pertains to if the default Internet Message Format is not set to '*').

DNS Configuration is pretty standard, MX0 points to mail.example.com, and mail.example.com points to 1.2.3.4.

Is there something I am missing here? There was an "admin" who initially setup the server, but he has since passed the issue on to me. I would really appreciate any help on this, as I am puzzled. I've tried scouring Google for at least a few hours before posting here....thanks for your help!
Post #: 1
RE: Delivery to the following recipients failed. - 31.Jan.2005 5:14:00 PM   
catron37

Hi Christopher,

This DSN 5.0.0 is a very generic one and sometimes it is difficult to say what is not working. I would try to approach it like this:
1. Try to connect from outside the network with Telnet, see who is answering on your MX (what banner you get) - is it E2K3 or do you have some other servers in between?
2. Either way, try to send a message to one of the valid accounts - before doing this step you can also enable message tracking on the server
3. Use message tracking and see if this message hit your server and where it stopped ....
4. You can also look at the Internet header of one of this NDR messages and see who is sending it.
5. Messages dissapearing is something that I would look at a 3rd party like AV or antispam. But you can have some other issues over there.
On this ideea you can disable the AV(antispam)- it is not the best option but you can try this step too. Best is to remove all third party and see if Exchange is still not delivering the message.
Let me know if you have updates or questions.
Ron

(in reply to cpace)
Post #: 2
RE: Delivery to the following recipients failed. - 31.Jan.2005 5:27:00 PM   
cpace

I said above I did indeed use telnet to confirm that everything was OK. Below is the exact conversation:

HELO
250 example.com Hello [1.2.3.4]
MAIL FROM: cpace@example.net
250 2.1.0 cpace@example.net....Sender OK
RCPT TO: dawn@example.com
250 2.1.5 dawn@example.com
DATA
354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>

test

250 2.6.0 <EXCHANGEkS0NjUxiUxp00000002@mail.example.com> Queued mail for delivery

The message "disappears" because the Exchange server isn't working, lol. The exchange server is not delivering mail. Does that help for clarity? I typed up this post before my morning cup of brew, so I'm sorry for any confusion. Exchange is sending these NDRs, and I still get them after manually telnetting to the smtp port.

And yes, these are valid accounts:

vrfy dawn
252 2.1.5 Cannot VRFY user, but will take message for <dawn@example.com>

(in reply to cpace)
Post #: 3
RE: Delivery to the following recipients failed. - 31.Jan.2005 8:59:00 PM   
cpace

There are also no 3rd party AV/Spam software installed BTW, forgot to mention that.

(in reply to cpace)
Post #: 4
RE: Delivery to the following recipients failed. - 31.Jan.2005 11:13:00 PM   
cpace

Removed the Windows 2003 POP3 service, which was installed without my knowledge. Thanks for all your troubles!

[ January 31, 2005, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Christopher Pace ]

(in reply to cpace)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> Delivery to the following recipients failed. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter