• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

mail exchange and private ip

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> mail exchange and private ip Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
mail exchange and private ip - 29.May2005 6:47:00 AM   
My company has mail exchange installed , it is using a dial up through an isp with a static IP. That is every time they connect to the net, the same IP appears.

However, to reduce costs, the company I work for and 2 other companies in the building has decided to get one connection and share it to their offices. Actually they are all under one Mother Company.

In order to share the connection, all workstations and including the mail exchange server are going to be assigned with fake IPs.

The browsing works good, as well as other internet activity. However as for the mail, when workstations send a mail, there seems to be no problem, but the mail never reaches the destination, it stays in the exchange queue. The moment I revert back to the dial up the message is delivered.
I suspect there is a small configuration to be done, something with routing the message or DNS or some little change in some exchange settings.

If someone feels that he/she can advice, I would appreciate that very much.

Thank you
  Post #: 1
RE: mail exchange and private ip - 29.May2005 1:59:00 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Your Exchange server doesn't need a public IP to send mail. You can configure the Exchange to send all mail to a relay at the ISP. Ring them and ask for the host name and IP address of it. It's free and they will give it to you.
Then go to the properties of the SMTP VSI and enter the name into the SMARTHOST field.
That should send mail out, although if you're on a scheduled dialup as opposed to on-demand you might need to come back for some more info on configuring the box to create a connector and use a schedule.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: mail exchange and private ip - 30.May2005 4:06:00 AM   
Dose that have to to something with the ETRN or something like that, i noticed an ETRN address and i noticed that Excahne was using the dial ups DNS (a fixed one), so i thought that after i change the connection to that of the LAN or fake IP, i should use a diffetent DNS.

If possible, can you profide a tutorial or steps to do so?
thank you very much in advance.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 3
RE: mail exchange and private ip - 31.May2005 5:35:00 PM   
I would appreciate a small tutorial also. I have a dynamic IP and receiving email servers frequently refuse my email because of this. I want to bounce my email off of the servers my ISP provides.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 4
RE: mail exchange and private ip - 14.Jun.2005 9:24:00 AM   
it seems noone has an answer

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> mail exchange and private ip Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter