• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

2nd smtp connector sending mail to a smarthost for 2 domains only

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> 2nd smtp connector sending mail to a smarthost for 2 domains only Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2nd smtp connector sending mail to a smarthost for 2 do... - 20.Jul.2005 9:44:00 AM   
fismail

Mail going out via my exchange server with a public internet address works fine BUT delivery to 2 domains does'nt go through , the amount of hops to these 2 external domains is more than 30 hops and the mail does'nt get delivered.

My ISP has instructed me to setup a smarthost on and allow all mails sent from my exchange site to these 2 domain names to a smarthost on their network that has less hops to the intended destination.

Do I create a second smtp connector on my server , if so how do I configure that connector only to send mail for the 2 external domains to my isp's smarthost to deliver the email for me.

Does anyone have any screenshots of a working config that I can use , or any other input to help me solve my problem ?
Post #: 1
RE: 2nd smtp connector sending mail to a smarthost for ... - 20.Jul.2005 10:57:00 AM   
fismail

Answered my own question after having access to my clients Exchange 2003 server.

Open Exchange System Manager
Expand Administrative Groups
Expand Routing Groups
Expand First Routing Group
Expand Connectors
Right Click Connectors , select New , select SMTP Connector
Add a name , I called it ISP smarthost
Put a tick / dot in forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts and I put smarthost.ispallowsmetouse.com in that field
Under local bridgeheads I added the local server
Under Address Space I created 2 smtp address spaces , being domain1.com and domain2.com and left them both at a default cost of 1 , they are specified as *.domain1.com and *.domain2.com & please take note of the wildcard syntax when defining them.

Leave the connector scope in the Entire Organisation check box and DO NOT tick the allow messages to be relayed to these domains options ( all we want to do is deliver email from exchange server.localdomain to them )
Click OK until you back in the Exchange System Manager console and then expand Servers
Expand Protocols
Expand SMTP
Right click on default SMTP virtual server , select stop , let the service stop , then select start and then send messages , check the QUEUES to see that all mail is going out.

The path that messages sent via your server viz echange.localserver to recipients at domain1.com and domain2.com is as follows ...

Message composed , sent , your server looks at the connectors and decides that if it is destined for the 2 domains above , to use the ISP smarthost connector , which states that all mail it receives for those 2 domains must be sent to isp.smarthost.server , which in turn examines the message and checks what ip the message is coming from ( I've specified an access list being 1.2.3.4 ) and then after its processed that message , forwards it onto another server on my network on a different isp link which takes your messages to the 2 domains and sends it out via a the different isp's smtp server that we are allowed as an ISP to have access to.

(in reply to fismail)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> 2nd smtp connector sending mail to a smarthost for 2 domains only Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter