• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 20.Feb.2004 6:18:00 PM   
ahriman

hello all- we have set up a public folder to accept email (mail-enabled), but it will not accept any email from outside the domain. is this a permissions issue (not likely in my eyes), or is it a routing issue? or perhaps it is not a typical mailbox-like folder? any ideas? thx

[ February 20, 2004, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: ahriman ]
Post #: 1
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 20.Feb.2004 9:11:00 PM   
Velocat

Hi ahriman,

What happens when an internal user email's the public folder? Success?

When an external account emails the folder, does the external account receive a bounced email? If so, can you post the error?

Thanks.

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 2
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 20.Feb.2004 10:20:00 PM   
ahriman

internal users can successfully send email, and external users do get a bounce message:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: 132
Sent: 2/20/2004 1:32 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

<public folder> on 2/20/2004 1:32 PM
The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but delivery was refused. Attempt to resend the message. If it still fails, contact your system administrator.
<<mail server.domain.com #5.2.1>

thanx.

[ February 20, 2004, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: ahriman ]

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 3
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 20.Feb.2004 10:51:00 PM   
Velocat

Take a look here:

This applies to Exchange 2000, but I figure it should work for 2003 too.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300221

Let us know if that does it for you.

Thanks.

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 4
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 20.Feb.2004 11:09:00 PM   
ahriman

that did it velocat, again, you rock.

what is weird is that i gave the anonymous (actually all associated accounts out of desperation!) account a higher client permission than what the article suggested, and it did not work. hmm...

thanx again

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 5
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 20.Feb.2004 11:15:00 PM   
Velocat

Cool...working is good.

Odd that your previous attemtps to fix it did not allow it through, but nonetheless it's working now, and that is most important.

[Smile]

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 6
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 21.Feb.2004 2:19:00 AM   
madcow

How do you guys configure mail-enabled public folders ... any article out ther .. which can walk me through, too?

Thanks,

MC

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 7
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 21.Feb.2004 5:44:00 AM   
Velocat

Hi madcow,

If it's not already mail enabled, right click the folder in Exchange System Manager, All Tasks, Mail Enable.

That do it for you?

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 8
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 21.Feb.2004 7:06:00 AM   
madcow

Velocat:

I got that.

Why do we need mail-enabled Pubic Folders .. when we have e-mail to address each other? What is the correct use or benefit of mail-enabled Public Folders?

Thanks,

MC

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 9
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 23.Feb.2004 5:39:00 PM   
Velocat

Mail Enabled public folders allow both Posts to the public folders, as well as emails sent to the folder. It's meant to be used as a "public" collaboration area, which you can allow incoming emails into. You can add rules to the folder to do the same things as you would an emailbox (forwarding/deleteing/etc.).

For example, our support team uses a mail enabled public folder to receive all inbound mail regarding support questions. It also goes into other places as well, such as databases, etc., but the folder keeps a browsable archive of incoming emails with quick accessiblity for the people who require it.

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 10
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 23.Feb.2004 6:56:00 PM   
madcow

Velocat:

Nice. Thanks for the explanation .. I like mail-enabled Public folder idea.

I am wondering if I tell my users/people to send their technical issues to an e-mail address called: helpdesk@server.com.

How would I configure this so I can receive it under a public folder and other techy guys can also read it.

Please advice.

[Mad]

[ February 23, 2004, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: madcow ]

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 11
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 23.Feb.2004 7:27:00 PM   
Velocat

Hi madcow,

Well for that all you'd need to do is setup a "Helpdesk" public folder.

Mail enable it.

If you want external mail sent to it, confirm it has an SMTP address of helpdesk@server.com (it should as long as your recipient policy is fine).

Then under ESM find the folder and assign the appropriate permissions to it.

That do it?

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 12
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 23.Feb.2004 7:29:00 PM   
Velocat

Oh, and if you're the owner of the folder, you can setup the permissions though Outlook/Properties/Permissions tab.

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 13
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 24.Feb.2004 2:04:00 AM   
madcow

Awesome Velocat .. man you rock!

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 14
RE: no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder - 1.Mar.2004 1:39:00 PM   
ronake

Hi there
I have an Mail enabled Public Folder and the external incoming mail there gets the Posting icon instead of the Envelope icon. When I send an e-mail internally to that public folder it gets an e-mail icon.
Another annoying thing is that you canŠt press the Reply button to send an reply, in that case it will be posted in that very same Public Folder. I know that I can press Ctrl + R but get all looser users to get that, i dont think so [Roll Eyes]
Anyone knows why it is like this? And if there is an solution to it?

(in reply to ahriman)
Post #: 15

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders >> no outside mail accepted to mail-enabled public folder Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter