Reading a message also marks following message as read (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Public Folders

thewspot -> Reading a message also marks following message as read (8.Oct.2004 3:16:00 AM)

Greetings all,

I have a strange problem.

I have a mail enabled public folder (my Spam catch all) that will commonly get about 100+ messages a day coming into it.

Every now and then I scan through to check for messages that have been trapped by mistake. If I read a message and then close it, it appears as read in the folder list (as you would expect), however the message after it is also then shown as read.

This isn't really a major problem, but I'm can't figure out why this is happening. Messages in the user mailbox don't do this at all.

Ideas anyone?
Scott.

mark@mvps.org -> RE: Reading a message also marks following message as read (11.Oct.2004 12:02:00 PM)

Depends on the client settings. My settings change a message to read if it's hightlighted for a few seconds, so if I do a cursor down through messages and read them in the review pane they will be marked as read.
Check the client....

thewspot -> RE: Reading a message also marks following message as read (11.Oct.2004 4:27:00 PM)

Thanks for the reply,

First things first. I never use the review pane. Even in OL2003 I still just don't quite trust it and never got used to it.

But to the problem - If I am looking at the list of unread messages, I double click to open one of them, then when I close that message to return to the PF list, it shows that message as read (as you expect), however, the next message down on the list is also shown as read even though I haven't read it, or even selected it or done anything that I can determine to have even touched it.

As I said before, it's not really important, however it is unexpected behaviour and concerns me that it may lead to other more significant behaviour I just haven't noticed yet.

Page: [1]