• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Information Store sizr

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Information Store sizr Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Information Store sizr - 19.Jan.2004 3:47:00 PM   
johndawsonbooth

We are currently running Exchange server 2000 on a Win2K server. The backup is causing some concern at the minute as it is filling the tape. (We back up some data areas as well as the EXchange data areas).
There are two questions:

1. I am backing up the Information Stores only on the exchange server (full & flushing the committed logs.) Is this enough to allow a recovery in the event of disaster?

2. The two mail files (priv1.edb & priv1.stm) total about 16Gb. We found last week that one particular email address had been sending circular emails resulting in an individual mail box size of 8Gb! We deleted all 350,000 items in the mail file, the log files which were considerable have now been mainly removed by the flushing. The information stores however remain the same size as before. I would have expected a dcrease in size following the deletion of all the messages from the mailbox in question.

Housekeeping runs on the server overnight and reports that there is 1Mb free after defragmentation!

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Information Store sizr - 23.Jan.2004 10:54:00 PM   
Velocat

Your data won't leave the Information Store until the Retention Period of deleted Items has passed.

Then your background maintenance will clean it out of the database..BUT, the Information Store will not decrease. It never decreases.....

You need to run a defrag on the Database to shrink the size of the information store(has to be run with exchange services stopped). The utility is ESEUTIL with a /d option. You should be able to find plenty of information on how to use ESEUTIL on the internet.

One thing to keep in mind is that this utility makes a copy of your current priv.edb file, so you need a place to put the copy if you don't have room on the existing drive.

Good Luck.

(in reply to johndawsonbooth)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Information Store sizr Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter