large file size in Priv1.edb and priv1.stm (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores

jiten_d -> large file size in Priv1.edb and priv1.stm (21.Feb.2004 11:56:00 AM)

I am facing a problem with Priv1.edb and priv1.stm files. These files are getting large size day by day i.e. 9GB and 3 GB respectively. I want to reduce the file size. How can I do this?

Please mail me on jiten_d@india.com

Henrik Walther -> RE: large file size in Priv1.edb and priv1.stm (21.Feb.2004 1:52:00 PM)

Hi Jiten,

These files contains your users mailbox data, so the way to make them smaller would be to have your users cleanup their mailboxes, then do an off-line defrag.

jiten_d -> RE: large file size in Priv1.edb and priv1.stm (23.Feb.2004 9:00:00 AM)

Hi Henrik

Thanks. It works.

Regards

Jiten

madcow -> RE: large file size in Priv1.edb and priv1.stm (25.Feb.2004 5:58:00 PM)

How do you run an offline defrag?

[Mad]

Velocat -> RE: large file size in Priv1.edb and priv1.stm (25.Feb.2004 7:02:00 PM)

Hi madcow,

There's lots of information on how to do an offline defrag on microsoft's KB, as well as the net.

Here's a short one that tells you about how the defrag tool works with both the priv1.edb and priv1.stm databases:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;254132

The command to run is eseutil. Be sure to do plenty of reading about eseutil and planning before running it.

madcow -> RE: large file size in Priv1.edb and priv1.stm (26.Feb.2004 7:43:00 PM)

Thanks Velocat.

You guys keep this site running.

[Mad]

blue6688 -> RE: large file size in Priv1.edb and priv1.stm (9.Mar.2004 6:39:00 PM)

We have samilar problems with the size of STM files. Some of them are three or four times bigger than edb files.

Would like to find ways to reduce the size of stm files, off line defragment of edb file does not help much.

I have one 10GB edb file and its stm file is 33GB. We have run 30-day rention on all servers. But this one has extreme large stm file

Thanks for help.

Henrik Walther -> RE: large file size in Priv1.edb and priv1.stm (10.Mar.2004 10:02:00 AM)

Among other things STM files contain attached files, I would inform your users to clean up their mailboxes.

Page: [1]