• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 7.Jun.2000 9:46:00 PM   
Does anyone know of an easy way to change the Organization Name in Exchange? I am trying to connect 2 Exchange servers that are in different Organizations, and am trying to avoid reinstalling the production server if possible. Any utilities, hints or info is greatly appreciated. I would like to have the GAL synchronized between the 2 servers, but my primary goal is to be able to route mail from one to the other so that I can get rid of one of my T1 connections. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Greg

Post #: 1
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 8.Jun.2000 10:33:00 AM   
JasonL

As I seem to remember, the directory name for the organisation cannot be changed - it's display name can - but this won't help.

Have you considered using X400 connectors between the two servers? Technet / Exch Res Kit probably has info about how to set these up.

You may also need to look at configuring a directory synchronisation service too, for the DS to update between both organisations.

Hope this is of use.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 8.Jun.2000 10:31:00 PM   
evetslp

I am sorry...but I have to agree with JasonL...there is NO way you can change the Org name. I would recommend checking out Orielly's book on Managing Microsoft Exchange Server (ISBN 1565925459). It probably will be able to give you some ideas on some solutions for your problem and help you manager both Org's better.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 3
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 9.Jun.2000 7:14:00 AM   
thebert

Greg - You can use the Exchange Move Server Wizard to rename the Org. There is a version for Exch 5.5 SP2 and SP3. The version that runs with SP3 is included with SP3. We used it at my company to migrate/merge a rogue Exchange organization into the main Org.

Tim

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 4
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 9.Jun.2000 8:49:00 AM   
Greg

Tim is correct. I did just what you are doing now last month. We joined with another company and I used the move wizard to change the organization and let it join mine.

Mike

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 5
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 9.Jun.2000 12:39:00 PM   
evetslp

Well...learn something new everyday...I was always taugh that you could not change the ORG name.....now i know :-)

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 6
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 12.Jun.2000 4:26:00 AM   
JasonL

I seem to remember that the Microsoft course even tells you that the organisation name in the directory can't be changed, only the display name.

Good job we can discuss the day-to-day stuff here.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 7
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 12.Jun.2000 5:20:00 AM   
I guess , being pedantic, MS are correct about not renaming Org names.

The Move Server wizard is effectively an export/import of the serverto a new org.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 8
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 12.Jun.2000 9:56:00 AM   
evetslp

After taking part in this discussion I decided to talk to a guy who *really* knows exchange and he told me the following:

"Yeah, you can change the org name using the move server wizard. It's called a "Pilgrim". It generates additional x.400 and x.500 addresses. It is not recommended. I'd rather Xmerge."

Hope this helps....I certainly have learned something new :-)

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 9
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 12.Jun.2000 11:58:00 AM   
Lorna

Pilgrim was the name of the Move Server wizard before it was released to the general public. There is also a tool called the Inter-Org Synchroniztion tool. You could look into that if you wanted to keep the orgs separate but be able to share directory information between them.

It is available in the Backoffice Resource kit.

[This message has been edited by Lorna (edited 06-12-2000).]

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 10
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 22.Jun.2000 10:03:00 AM   
From what I was told by Microsoft you will be able to change the Organization name with Exchange 2000. So no better time then the present to upgrade your servers. Good justification if you need it.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 11
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 29.Jul.2000 8:00:00 AM   
Does anyone here know if you can use the move server wizard to change the organization name on a non-english Exchange server?

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 12
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 2.Aug.2000 8:32:00 AM   
BrianT

i've been in the same scenario on connecting two msx organisations. The connection part isn't that hard. Just use the X400 connector from the ENTERPRISE edition of MSX and you're setup. That connector is capable of connecting different org. For that GAL problem i'm looking at some sort of replication tool, if i got that thing up and running i will let you know. If you need more info on how to setup the x400 conn. feel free to email me.

Bye

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 13
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 2.Aug.2000 8:55:00 AM   
Lholland

The company I work for unfortuately keeps buying up other companys so we have alot of different organisation units. I have used the move server wizard on 18 sites so far and have never suffered from any major problems. The only problem I have had with it is occastionally you have to remove the Obj-Dist-Names under the site addressing for each user as they then appear as X500 address's under each individuals email address.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 14
RE: Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! - 29.Sep.2000 11:06:00 AM   
StephenCB

The Move Server Wizard cannot be downloaded as a seperate program, it is available with Service Pack 3. Here is the SP3 download link:
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads/sp3.htm

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 15

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Changing the Organization Name in Exchange..Help! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter