• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Can this be recovered from?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Can this be recovered from? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can this be recovered from? - 17.Aug.2004 2:29:00 PM   
inetsoft

My clients Exchange drive got full yesterday thanks to Mcafee groupshield logging too much info.

I cleared up the logs but as an afterthought I decided to turn on circular logging. The instant I checked the box I changed my mind and unchecked it and didn't restart services so it shouldn't have implemented, but...

This morning the customer rang to say that a number of users had only headers for some recent mail, and no body text.

I immediately checked the Exchange mdbdata folder, to find that all logs up until last nights backup had gone, so circular logging must have kicked in.

So, I ask for the last tape to be put in the drive so I can restore the log files, and I find that the tape has corrupted so I can't restore.

I know the deletion of the Mcafee logs didn't cause this as I've done it a few times before.

I'm thinking that the mail bodies have been lost because they were mails open when the drive got full so somehow they didn't make it into the logs.

So, the question is, am I looking in the wrong direction for a solution, as I would have thought that even though circular logging has enabled there shouldn't be any loss of content since it should all have been committed.

If this is the problem, how can I recover the data without a backup or all the log files, is the answer to do with the priv.stm or am I lost completely?
Post #: 1
RE: Can this be recovered from? - 17.Aug.2004 8:44:00 PM   
inetsoft

can add to this now.

The online defrag during the night freed up 1164mb of space, as if someone deleted alot of mail, but the mials are still partially there, sometimes attachments have survived, but body text is missing, headers all remain, and it's not all messages, just at random and some mailboxes aren't affected at all.

Is there some way of reversing an online defrag?

(in reply to inetsoft)
Post #: 2
RE: Can this be recovered from? - 18.Aug.2004 11:02:00 AM   
andyhud007

Dont think so mate.

www.ontrack.com/powercontrols will probably save your bacon...

Andy.

(in reply to inetsoft)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Can this be recovered from? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter