• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RE: Anti-virus for Exchange

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> RE: Anti-virus for Exchange Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 23.Jun.2000 9:18:00 AM   
comedian

scanmail is the best but from web managment i think norton wins hands down.

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 21
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 23.Jun.2000 9:28:00 AM   
CMegginson

GroupShield is NOT so great. Version 4.5 REQUIRES a hotfix from MS that causes the Store.exe to crash if you move a mailbox.
It also does NOT tell you who is sending the virus and will not STOP the messages being sent from ILOVEYOU. Everyone gets the message with the LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.VBS attchment replaced with a warning file but you still have mail going to everyone in your GAL. They also have a 1-hour wait time for tech support.

------------------
Chris Megginson,
MCSE, CNA

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 22
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 23.Jun.2000 3:27:00 PM   
fa

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew:
Interesting that Scanmail gets popular votes. We also use it, Trend seems to get updates faster than many other AV companies.

Has anyone ever come across an AV product that protects over X400 connectors? It would be useful to provide inter-office protection as well as inter-company protection. No doubt the only answer is to use SMTP connectors, and use an AV product that checks IMS databases.

Has anyone had any negative feedback on Scanmail 3.5 using the AV API? I read that you need latest SP3 patches to prevent store crashes, but I'm interested to know if anyone has had any issues.

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 23
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 23.Jun.2000 3:34:00 PM   
fa

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew:
Interesting that Scanmail gets popular votes. We also use it, Trend seems to get updates faster than many other AV companies.

Has anyone ever come across an AV product that protects over X400 connectors? It would be useful to provide inter-office protection as well as inter-company protection. No doubt the only answer is to use SMTP connectors, and use an AV product that checks IMS databases.

Has anyone had any negative feedback on Scanmail 3.5 using the AV API? I read that you need latest SP3 patches to prevent store crashes, but I'm interested to know if anyone has had any issues.

I have tested scan mail for exchange v3.5 for AVAPI mode but encountered many problems,performance were degraded and users were not able open the attachements.I changed the mode to MAPI and it is working fine.In AVAPI mode scan mail does not send notifications to sender or recepients as well.Trend suggested to uninstall the product.I have applied all the MS patches to info store and scan mail patches before the new installation of Scanmail for exchange v3.5.
regards
faroooq

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 24
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 23.Jun.2000 3:47:00 PM   
Dufferin

We use Antige and its wonderful. Like the other user said, it scans the IMC queues and will not allow the message to hit the MTA. It works on realtime or you can do manual scan as well. Easy to install and runs real smooth. Especially since we are currently running Exchange on a Alpha system.

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 25
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 28.Jul.2000 10:00:00 AM   
quote:
Originally posted by dleger:
Problem with inoculate it is that it's OLD news... It's badly written and it only auto update's once per month... You can't even change that option... 1 per month just doesn't cut it these days... And I only bought the prduct 4 months ago... It's on the way out the door !

CAI have realeased an update for InoIT which allows to set shorter update intervals. It works quite well.

Joachim.

(in reply to gavinr)
  Post #: 26
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 29.Jul.2000 10:38:00 AM   
ChrisB

Anyone here running two different AV products on your e-mail gateway for extra protection?

We are currently using GS 4.5 but my way of thinking is to deploy a different product in front of it, hopefully increasing the protection.

I'm currently looking at GFI Mail Essentials as it looks to have good content filtering options (GroupShields weakness IMHO). It comes with the Norman AV engine free as well.

Thanks,

Chris.

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 27
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 2.Aug.2000 9:43:00 AM   
Lholland

I tried Trend, Sendmail and MailSweeper 4.5 for SMTP and found MailSweeper to be the best for the size of our organisation. For one or two SMTP servers Trend would have been best, but we have over 40 email domains which are connected to our system via either SMTP or X400 and MailSweeper has LDAP access so we can control our email forwarding without the mails having to get to the exchange box for relaying. On top of that we also use GroupShield 4.5 for Exchange as an additional safeguard.

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 28
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 2.Aug.2000 4:09:00 PM   
gdh

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisB:
Anyone here running two different AV products on your e-mail gateway for extra protection?

We use both NAV for Exchange on the mail server and eSafe Protect Gateway in front at the firewall level.

NAV for Exchange does not allow for filtering based on a text string and the ILOVEYOU definition update took all day before it was available. The ILOVEYOU just spread faster than NAV could keep up.

Since we use Checkpoint firewall we added the eSafe Gateway. They work together so the FW-1 passes the SMTP traffic through eSafe Gateway before it goes to Exchange. I feel much better running this extra bit of protection at the firewall level. At least now I know all my inbound emails are getting checked once "before" they even hit the mail server.

I do like having NAV on the server as it works well and has a nice browser based interface. I've seen a virus make it past the eSafe Gateway and NAV is there to catch it. We also run NAV Corporate Edition on all of our workstations. Three levels of virus protection here.

I only wish there was a "LiveUpdate" function for the users! Once in awhile I still see someone open an ILOVEYOU from somewhere... at least now it gets caught.

-Greg

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 29
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 15.Dec.2000 5:28:00 PM   
Fredrick

We use Computer Associates Inoculan (just went to next level of InoculateIT) and it has an Exchange option pack that works nicely. We have two different locations w/ Exchange and have always used the Computer Associates piece for over 2 years, with easiy downloads and updates and dispersions.

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 30
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 21.May2002 8:23:00 PM   
Robdanley

Here is a question...

We use a firewall appliance (Watchguard 4500 firewall) we can block attachments etc. but there is no virus scanning. what do people recommend... I hear you should get a product that scans at the gateway not the actual information sotre or mail boxes. Do any of these products scan before it hits the info store? Some AV products will quarantine log files if they are infected thus possibly messing up the info store database... What are some peoples thoughts....?

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 31
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 22.May2002 1:09:00 AM   
jctec2k

quote:
Originally posted by LenB:
Norton Antivirus for Exchange works very well. We have 9 sites running 13 Exchange servers and have not been affected by a virus yet!
Check out www.symantec.com for more details.

I agree that it works wonderfully but, like most enterprise AV products, make sure your server/enterprise can handle the constant attachment scan.

I was running NAV for exchange on a 750mghz PIII 512mb ram Dell Power Edge and it was slow as hell when NAV started up its attachment scan. If you go with NAV I recomend at least dual 1ghz PIII w/ min. 1024 mb ram. That should be good for up to about 100 users/inboxes per server.

my $.02

[ May 22, 2002, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: jctec2k ]

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 32
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 24.May2002 5:53:00 PM   
ledzepe

We've MailEssential and we've never had any virus in our system. [Smile]

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 33
RE: Anti-virus for Exchange - 3.Jun.2002 5:34:00 PM   
exchgbitch

I just did not want to be the only one that did not post somthing on this. Oh by the way I use norton for exchange.

joe

(in reply to gavinr)
Post #: 34

Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> RE: Anti-virus for Exchange Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter