• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Restoring Exchange

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Restoring Exchange Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Restoring Exchange - 11.Jan.2005 7:23:00 PM   
christopher_t

Nothing brings on chills like the thought of restoring an exchange server, this was my nightmare this past weekend.

AD crashed along with just about everything on the system (SBS2003). After a number of hours spent troubleshooting, I realize my efforts were in vain and set to reinstall everything. Before I started the install, I was able to backup the system state and exchange using Ntbackup (to file) and we also have a good backup using backup exec (tape).

Here's my trouble, I've need to know how to restore the system to at least get some of the email back. I've tried to restore the databases from ntbackup and backup exec but the fail every time. I've looking into the process of using Restore Group but I'm unable to choose the store where I want the backup to go. If anyone has any ideas, I'm completely open "[Smile]"

Here's what I was going to attempt if I didn't get any response. Uninstall exchange from the server and reinstall with the /disasterrecovery switch but I'm just guessing here so give me some input.

Thanks,
Chris
Post #: 1
RE: Restoring Exchange - 12.Jan.2005 9:48:00 PM   
Is AD restored from tape or you end up re-installing OS and creating new AD?

Sandman

(in reply to christopher_t)
  Post #: 2
RE: Restoring Exchange - 12.Jan.2005 10:01:00 PM   
christopher_t

Thanks for the question. They only had one weeks worth of backups and I wasn't too confident in the AD. Therefore I decided to reinstall and recreate everything with the same names.

Any help appreciated,
Chris

Post #: 3
RE: Restoring Exchange - 12.Jan.2005 10:11:00 PM   
If the AD is newer than your disasterrecovery install switch will not fix your exchange issue.

In this case you should take following action.

1) copy infostore and public store.
2) un-install exchange manualy from exchange server.
3) re-install exchange server with same name and same organization.
4) Make sure your new exchange installation is installed correctly and that all services are starting including stores are mounting.
5) go to property of mailbox store and check off restore "this mailbox store could be overwritten by a restore" option.
6) restore mail box and public store, which you copied over in step 1.

If this does not work than you may try defragging your database switch with eseutil -r command.

Hope this helps

Sandman

Post #: 4
RE: Restoring Exchange - 12.Jan.2005 11:02:00 PM   
christopher_t

I've tried to restore the database but I get errors during the restore process. Before starting the restore, I checked the box to allow overwrite and dismounted the stores. I started the ntbackup and tried to restore, but it doesn't complete. I've also tried restoring the backup from veritas but it also gets errors.

Thanks for your reply,
Chris

Post #: 5
RE: Restoring Exchange - 13.Jan.2005 3:14:00 PM   
Make sure you don't have any exchange services running during restore process.

Other option is to create recovery storage group and than try restoring your mailbox/public stores in this recovery storage group.

Sandman

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Restoring Exchange Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter