• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Moving mailboxes between servers.

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Moving mailboxes between servers. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moving mailboxes between servers. - 11.Jun.2000 8:56:00 PM   
If I move a number of users from one server in the same site to another what happens to Single Instance Storage. Obviously for the first user it will be lost. Will it be recreated a I move the rest? If not won't the total size of the mail data base (PRIV.EDB) grow substantially. If this is the case would a defragmentaion after rebuild the Single Instance Storgae occurences?

Thanks in advance.

Paul Lemonidis
Paul_Lemonidis@hotmail.com

Post #: 1
RE: Moving mailboxes between servers. - 12.Jun.2000 8:53:00 AM   
indrin

Hi When moving onto a new server all single instance storage meassages will be converted into individual messages for each mailbox, your data base will grow substantially. I am not sure if it can be reconstructed.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: Moving mailboxes between servers. - 3.Mar.2009 4:23:12 PM   
NoDramas

SiS will be lost if you move to a new Exchange Organisation.  If you do a Swing Migration and move mailboxes using the Mailbox Move Wizard with Exchange SP1+ to a server in the same site it will be preserved.

If you are PSTing your mail you will lose Single Instance Storage (SiS) if you are going to Exchange 2003.  However you can use Archive Manager (previously AfterMail) to import PST's and regain TRUE SiS.  I have heard tell that it can be regained within Exchange (possibly via an offline ISINTEG/Defrag and it may be only on 2007, this I am not sure of however.  Other 3rd party products may be of help.

As an aside I have personally used Ontrack Power Controls to gain access to an unmountable store and PST all mail in it with good effect, it can PST to Unicode (>=2003) or non-Unicode (97-2000 PST files).  And no, I have no vested/monetary interest in Ontrack.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Moving mailboxes between servers. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter