• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

OL98: Inbox renamed accidently

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> OL98: Inbox renamed accidently Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OL98: Inbox renamed accidently - 16.Jun.2000 4:37:00 PM   
LyndaM

We have 2 Exchange 5.5 (sp2) servers (approx 250 mailboxes each server) installed from BackOffice 4.3. Outlook 98 (for most, some 2000 creaping in).

Desktop OS: win95, win98, NT4.0

I have had two users who are secretaries (both WinNT 4.0 users) that are delegates for other mailboxes, accidently rename their INBOX and are unable to rename it back to Inbox. The inbox still functions properly (send/receive mail).

My fix has been to delete the mailbox and recreate. But, one of these users it has happened twice in the same week. She claims she was actually on her managers' calendar when it happend.

Microsoft says we have a corrupt database, but I ran isinteg and eseutil (sp?) and see no evidence of this.

This has happened on both of our production servers. But only 3 times in 6 months.

Any possible cause/prevention recommendations?

Thank you - Lynda

Post #: 1
RE: OL98: Inbox renamed accidently - 19.Jun.2000 12:22:00 PM   
Lorna

Strange, I didn't think it was possible to rename "inbox" because it's a system folder.
No advice but I wish you lots of luck.

(in reply to LyndaM)
Post #: 2
RE: OL98: Inbox renamed accidently - 19.Jun.2000 3:37:00 PM   
I've experienced this... To rename the Inbox you need to access the mailbox with the Exchange client instead of Outlook. Then simply rename it.
This problem usually happens when a delegate is manipulating meeting requests, (MS reports this as a problem in Outlook 2000 but it happens in OL 98.)
Check the following articles>>>

Q198469- How to rename the Outlook Inbox
Q237949
"When deleting a single instance of a meeting from a recurring appointment, the
person performing the action may have their Inbox folder renamed to the subject
line of the meeting request."

(in reply to LyndaM)
  Post #: 3
RE: OL98: Inbox renamed accidently - 19.Jun.2000 3:50:00 PM   
By the way, nothing wrong with your database.... and to prevent this I had to change the habits of two secretaries but unfortunately I cannot remember what funny move they were doing to cause this.

(in reply to LyndaM)
  Post #: 4
RE: OL98: Inbox renamed accidently - 19.Jun.2000 7:28:00 PM   
LyndaM

quote:
Originally posted by Stefan:
By the way, nothing wrong with your database.... and to prevent this I had to change the habits of two secretaries but unfortunately I cannot remember what funny move they were doing to cause this.

Thanks Stefan...I thought I was going crazy. In my case, too, it was secretaries that were manipulating meetings. I will try the Exchange client to rename and read your recommended articles...again thanks.

Lynda

(in reply to LyndaM)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> OL98: Inbox renamed accidently Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter