• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange Problems

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Exchange Problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange Problems - 26.Jun.2000 7:04:00 PM   
Hi,

I have a lot of problems with the Exchange Server. To start off with the C: drive on which the software is installed is about 96% full. Any way to free space till a new Server is sourced soon?
Secondly the outgoing messages incur delays in being sent and message sent to us are recieved with a day or two delay. Exchange problem or line problem ? And the senders usually get 'non - fatal transient error' while the message eventually goes through they are informed that the message has bounced back !
Any way to check emails going to and fro at the Server to find users who send large emails (mpgs, video clips, etc)

Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: Exchange Problems - 26.Jun.2000 9:28:00 PM   
ryoung

We had a similar problem some months ago, its simply lack of disk space. You need to address this quickly or your whole email system may simply collapse on you sometime with no chance of recovery.

Have a look and see if you have circular logging enabled, if not, your system is writing new logs everyday, these can quickly fill a hard drive, depending how long your system has been running, you might find the logs are taking up all your space. You might like to delete logs which are older than 6 months. Don't delay though, act quickly.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange Problems - 27.Jun.2000 11:36:00 AM   
Lee Massie

If a backup strategy has been adopted and this includes flushing/purging logs upon a successfull backup - shouldn't that be enough to remove old logs and keep the log/hdd space hogging down?

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange Problems - 27.Jun.2000 11:51:00 AM   
JasonL

You could look at using the server optimizer program, and investigate moving the log files to another drive. If the log files and the databases are on the same physical drive, expect some drop in performance.

When you want to run the optimizer, you will need to arrange downtime as the services are stopped as part of the process. Good luck

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange Problems - 28.Jun.2000 8:48:00 AM   
We are also having a message delay problem. The delay can be minutes to may hours. The client will not see the messages until they do something with Outlook. The problem seems to have started with sp3. We are also getting delayed delivery messages that are noted when the MTA is shutdown and restarted. I cannot track this down. Our Ex Organization consists of 3 site, 15 servers and about 10,000 mailboxes. I am concerned with one site, 4 servers. Only 2 servers contain message stores for about 1100 clients. We are NT4 sp6a, EX sp3, Trend 3.5. We also have Win2000 cluster with EX sp3 and Trend 3.5. Anyone have a starting point.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 5
RE: Exchange Problems - 28.Jun.2000 10:13:00 AM   
Just a thought... I've seen a few posts here from people having problems with Exch 5.5 that have NT sp6a. I still have NT sp5 and sure won't change anything until I see a problem. To find the cause of the delays try using Perf-Monitor to analyse where the bottleneck is... from your description it could be anything from Exchange design, network performance or Exch srvr hardware config/load. Check "MTA queue lenght", It should not be constantly high.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 6
RE: Exchange Problems - 30.Jun.2000 9:01:00 AM   
A possible cause of disk space problem: look in exchsrvr\imcdata\in and \out\archive. Anything there? If so, they are copies of old messages, and can be deleted (unless you have some business reason to keep them). Also check imcdata\log. These would be smtp protocol logs, useful for t-shooting, just taking up space otherwise. Both these settings can be turned off on IMS>Diagnostics logging.

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Exchange Problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter