• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Mail being returned? HELP

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Mail being returned? HELP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mail being returned? HELP - 21.Nov.2000 12:11:00 PM   
ssimspson

Recently Our company has noticed that we have been recieving a number of returned e-mails. At first I assumed it was an error on the servers it was being sent to, however after further investigation I am seeing it may not even be leaving our company's Exchange 5.5 Server. Yet it is only certain addresses, such as :
@netzero.net
@mindspring.com
Addresses such as
@yahoo.com
@hotmail.com
@excite.com
Seem to all go through just fine, i experimented with just Text verses actual Files.
I don't seem to be able to make sence of it,
Anyone ever experiance this? Is it my server? Any help would be loved.

------------------

Post #: 1
RE: Mail being returned? HELP - 21.Nov.2000 7:54:00 PM   
Eric

are you maintaining your own DNS...check it...if not check with your ISP

(in reply to ssimspson)
Post #: 2
RE: Mail being returned? HELP - 22.Nov.2000 4:20:00 AM   
Postman Pat

The returned message should give information about where, if not why, the message was bounced.

If you need help analysing, post it, but don't change it as it just makes it harder to look at.

Pat.

(in reply to ssimspson)
Post #: 3
RE: Mail being returned? HELP - 22.Nov.2000 11:05:00 AM   
ssimspson

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:
Sent: 11/22/2000 10:53 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'info@texoma.net' on 11/22/2000 10:53 AM
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=Grayson Business;l=POST_OFFICE-001122165310Z-6

------------------

(in reply to ssimspson)
Post #: 4
RE: Mail being returned? HELP - 22.Nov.2000 11:06:00 AM   
ssimspson

This was all it said, usually I can analize it and see were the error lies however this lacks info. : / Or maybe it doesn't? I hope this helps.

------------------

(in reply to ssimspson)
Post #: 5
RE: Mail being returned? HELP - 22.Nov.2000 2:19:00 PM   
Rule 1: Make double sure the email address is typed correctly!

If it is, then it may be possible that the server on the other end changed addresses, or the box no longer exists. Check it out if possible.

I have also seen this if the DNS isn't working properly.. if say you have an mx record with a priority of 10 and a backup mx with a priority of 20, I might find out if maybe they can increase the backup priority to 30 ...

(in reply to ssimspson)
  Post #: 6
RE: Mail being returned? HELP - 23.Nov.2000 8:35:00 AM   
First of all where these mails are returned. Is this msg being received by some of your user mailbox or some where else.

case1: if it is being returned to a user mailbox and the user has not send any such message then: It means someone is using that user's email address (or as reply to address) to send junk mail accross hotmail, yahoo etc.
To make it more clear it is possible for anyone to have any email address as reply to address(you will know this if you have ever used a pop3 mail )
Since these emails are sent in bulk and there will always some wrong email address hence these mails are returned to reply to address which may be unfortunately one of your user.

Case2: If these mails are not in one of your box and you have learnt about these undelivered mails from your event viewer or from your imcdata/in/archive directory then it means someone is using your server as relay server. In other words they are using your server to send these junk emails.

hope this helps.

(in reply to ssimspson)
  Post #: 7
RE: Mail being returned? HELP - 23.Nov.2000 8:40:00 AM   
I think i read your question incorrectly. Anyway above answer may help someone else.

(in reply to ssimspson)
  Post #: 8
RE: Mail being returned? HELP - 24.Nov.2000 4:48:00 PM   
ssimspson

The MX record rung a bell, I will contact the company who controls that and see if it may be anything with them. At first I had assumed it was incorrect addressing until I found an address of a business contact I have that would not go through from our internal Exchange Server, yet I could send to the same address from any of my internet addresses no prob.
The last big change I made was unloading the drivers and modules for RightFax and FaxMaker. A privious Network Admin had not been so careful as to try these programs out elsewere before loading them on to the Server. Anyways i followed the removal proceedure as posted by RightFax, as well as FaxMaker. Yet I can not pinpoint the exact date the problems started creaping up. Yet my first sign of problems started before that adjustment.
Is there by chance a way that something within Exchange and the way it routes all of the mail that could be screwed up? I have reinstalled SP3 for exchange even upgraded to SP4 to see if it may correct some of the problems, Yet this was unsuccessful. : (
Thanks Guys and Gals for your help, Let me know if you have any more Idea's. :

Thanks

------------------

(in reply to ssimspson)
Post #: 9
RE: Mail being returned? HELP - 27.Nov.2000 10:36:00 AM   
Postman Pat

It does sound like a DNS error, although "The recipient name is not recognized" usually means the message go to the destination domain and then bounced.

Are there any clues in the message header?

Can you turn up logging on the IMS and follow the conversation?

Also check your IMS routing tab for any sort of restriction, then look at your GWART to see if they are meant to go via a different route. I would also check to see if these failing address domains exist in your org, I have seen messages fail from one Exchange site to another because one mailbox had a wrong address.

Pat.

(in reply to ssimspson)
Post #: 10
RE: Mail being returned? HELP - 27.Nov.2000 3:00:00 PM   
ssimspson

Does anyone know were I can find good info on how to confirm our IMS, GWART and DNS are set up properly. As far as I can tell everything is A Okay. : / on our end at least, i am contacting the company that holds our DNS and also the compan ythat holds our MX records.

(in reply to ssimspson)
Post #: 11
RE: Mail being returned? HELP - 29.Nov.2000 2:21:00 AM   
ssimspson

Well I figured it out guys and gals thanks for pointing me the right direction. We inadvertantly upset a few of our customers with a special offer we send by e-mail to some customers we had recieved addresses from using what is called a single opt in list. We were marked as a spammer and put in an rss list. so our IP was blocked from sending to many ISP e-mail accounts. Have corrected the problem and are back up. Now using a double opt in. Tell you what I hate spam as much as the next so I completely understand. : )

(in reply to ssimspson)
Post #: 12
RE: Mail being returned? HELP - 29.Nov.2000 2:21:00 AM   
ssimspson

Well I figured it out guys and gals thanks for pointing me the right direction. We inadvertantly upset a few of our customers with a special offer we send by e-mail to some customers we had recieved addresses from using what is called a single opt in list. We were marked as a spammer and put in an rss list. so our IP was blocked from sending to many ISP e-mail accounts. Have corrected the problem and are back up. Now using a double opt in. Tell you what I hate spam as much as the next so I completely understand. : )

(in reply to ssimspson)
Post #: 13

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Mail being returned? HELP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter