• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Environment Audit?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Environment Audit? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Environment Audit? - 22.Feb.2001 12:12:00 AM   
casey

I've taken over as net admin on a network with 2 Exchange 5.5 servers running on Windows NT 4.0. I've been thrown into the fire and need to produce a general audit of the messaging environment. What type of things should I be looking for? Disk space? Memory? I am fairly new to Exchange 5.5 which is the understanding of my supervisors but I am still required to gather as much data as possible. I would appreciate any thoughts no matter how basic. Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Environment Audit? - 22.Feb.2001 10:36:00 AM   
Bear

Ok. Do you have something like MSSMS, or HP Openview running on the network? If not you're going to have to collect most of this information. If I was asked to perform this type of audit, These are the things I would give.

1. Physical Machine Specs
1.1 I would then compare these to MS recommended Exchange 5.5 Hardware specs as a comparision. I have learnt that if you to something like this, and you don't give management something to compare it too, they don't know what they're looking at. (You might even get some new hardware))

2. Size of the MDBDATA, Priv and Pub.edb.

2.1 % of pysical space used vs available, as used by MDBData ( I usually expect my mail store to double in size every year, so keep this in mind if you don't have mail box restrictions in place, SO PLAN AHEAD ;-))

3. Mail box resources used.

3.1 Here management don't actually realise how much space they actually take up, and the number of items they're keeping. A little spread sheet does wonders. (And the last time I did this exercise I receive a fibreoptic raidpod for my efforts, when my boss saw he had a mail box that was 1.2 Gigs in size. Hahaaha)

Those would be the three things I would be looking for if I requested an audit, and consequently is the info I supply when asked for an audit.

Best of luck with what I presume to be a new job

Bear

quote:
Originally posted by casey:
I've taken over as net admin on a network with 2 Exchange 5.5 servers running on Windows NT 4.0. I've been thrown into the fire and need to produce a general audit of the messaging environment. What type of things should I be looking for? Disk space? Memory? I am fairly new to Exchange 5.5 which is the understanding of my supervisors but I am still required to gather as much data as possible. I would appreciate any thoughts no matter how basic. Thanks

(in reply to casey)
Post #: 2
RE: Environment Audit? - 22.Feb.2001 2:39:00 PM   
casey

Bear, thank you so much! This info looks very helpful. New job indeed!
Casey

(in reply to casey)
Post #: 3
RE: Environment Audit? - 22.Feb.2001 2:53:00 PM   
Bear

My Pleasure. Give me a shout if you need any further help.

(in reply to casey)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Environment Audit? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter