• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

CHKDS.EXE utility - where is it?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> CHKDS.EXE utility - where is it? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CHKDS.EXE utility - where is it? - 4.Nov.2001 11:56:00 PM   
Anybody know where to find the chkds.exe utility for Exchange 5.5? I have the read-only version of the utility (chkdsro.exe), but I cannot find the version that allows
me to repair the DIR.EDB database.

This utility is refered to in Article Q265172

Post #: 1
RE: CHKDS.EXE utility - where is it? - 5.Nov.2001 4:02:00 AM   
jeffj

You should only need this utility to find Orphaned Objects, either in your Dir, or another Dir in your organization, I.E., you are having Dir Rep problems between Sites. Look on the 5.5 CD, if not, get it from MS.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 2
RE: CHKDS.EXE utility - where is it? - 5.Nov.2001 5:36:00 AM   
Jeff;

Thanks for the reply. The problem described in the technet article with the listed event log errors is what is happening with this particular site. The problem lies in the intrasite replication between two servers in the same site after a rebuild and restore of one of the servers after a major crash.

The chkdsro.exe utility shows 32 errors that need to be fixed. I have looked on my Select CD and chkds.exe is not on it, and the client's Exchange Serve CD was unreadable.

If you know where it is, could you please e-mail a copy to mramsay@powerlan.com.au

Regards,

Marc

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 3
RE: CHKDS.EXE utility - where is it? - 7.Nov.2001 5:57:00 AM   
jeffj

I will try and find chkds, but it will take some time, I think.

--turn up Diagnostic Logging on Directory Replication, you may be able to locate what are the corrupted objects in the App Log, then delete/recreate them. You will find certain events that will tell you exactly what the corrupted/orphaned objects are, i.e., mailbox, custom recipient, distribution list, etc.

--if the Site has remained stable, you haven't add/deleted 100s of mailboxes, you can restore an older Directory on the suspect server. If the one you rebuilt is 1 week old, restore a 2 week old Directory. You will not have any mailboxes that were created between that time. Don't mess with the Store, just the Dir. You can restore 3 month old Dir, 6 month, 2 yr old Dir, it doesn't matter, it will talk to the other 5.5 box in the Site and become updated (Update Now), however whatever specific mailboxes that were created AFTER backup date of Dir, will not be there.

--you could even save Priv and Pub.edb from Bad server, then delete it from Site, then reinstall it, selecting to JOIN existing 5.5 Org and Site, the drop in production Priv and Pub, then do DS/IS Consistency Adjuster in Exch Admin, to populate blank Dir w/ mailboxes in Priv.edb.

There are other options as well. If you're pressed for time, go to Microsoft's News Groups and post for Chkds, I'm sure one the MVPs or someone can find it for you.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> CHKDS.EXE utility - where is it? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter