• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Not receiving external emails

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Not receiving external emails Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Not receiving external emails - 20.Dec.2001 12:04:00 AM   
davadauw

Our server is working fine with internal email and messages can be sent exteranlly but no mail is being received from external source. I checked the Internet Mail Service Connection tab and transfer mode is set to inbound & outbound. Can anyone help?
Post #: 1
RE: Not receiving external emails - 20.Dec.2001 3:18:00 AM   
Nyrlath

Perhaps its DNS related? Are you sure your outbound messages are reaching their destinations?

J...

(in reply to davadauw)
Post #: 2
RE: Not receiving external emails - 27.Dec.2001 7:29:00 PM   
DaveH

Depends how your Internet mail is setup. Does your exchange server connect directly to the internet or do you forward all mail to another host?

Test to see if your exchange server is set up to recieve mail by connecting directly to the internet (try doing this via a 3rd party i.e. dialing an isp) and doing Nslookup -q=mx yourdomain.com from a command line. This should return the name of internet mail servers for your domain. If this returns something other than your exchange IMS then you need to make sure that the server that is returned is configured to pass all its mail to your IMS server.

(in reply to davadauw)
Post #: 3
RE: Not receiving external emails - 31.Dec.2001 6:55:00 AM   
hmlim

You need to check DNS as well as firewall.

Dial-out to external ISP, perform NSLOOKUP to check the MX record for your domain.

(in reply to davadauw)
Post #: 4
RE: Not receiving external emails - 17.Jun.2008 9:59:27 AM   
ajveach

I apologize for bringing up an old topic, but I thought this may be related.

I recently installed an exchange 2007 server, and it works without issue around 80% of the time. Seemingly randomly it stops receiving external emails, though, and I have not figured out the cause yet. A simple reboot of the server corrects the issue, but I need to figure out the root of the problem.

I have tried using  message tracking to troubleshoot the problem, but the mail does not appear there. It looks like the server just stops receiving completely and doesn't have a chance to even try to direct the mail properly. I'll be checking on some of these DNS related possibilities, but because it's so intermittent I thought it would be a worthwhile idea to see if anyone had any other ideas.

Thanks!

edit: I found this topic through the search function which I thought I had selected exchange 2007. The issue may be non-dependant on the version of exchange, but I apologize for posting this in the wrong area.

< Message edited by ajveach -- 17.Jun.2008 10:01:29 AM >

(in reply to hmlim)
Post #: 5
RE: Not receiving external emails - 27.Aug.2008 11:33:11 AM   
pratapkr

Can you check the network configuration:

1. Is a Public IP Address natted to your internal exchange ip?
2. Do you have the proper DNS records on the internet for the email domain you use?

Regards,

K

(in reply to davadauw)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Not receiving external emails Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter