• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out-Bound Queue run amuck.....

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out-Bound Queue run amuck..... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out-Bou... - 26.Sep.2002 12:06:00 AM   
06scooter60

I have an Exchange 5.5 Server with Service Pack 4 installed. One day the server locked up and after a restart and eval, I noticed the processes for exchange were topping out... I checked the queue and found a thousand or more mesages in the outgoing que. I tried clearing them out, but they return just as fast as I remove them. This just started a few days ago and I am not sure what would cause this. In the queue, all I can see is the sender and reciever and neither match anyone I have on this system.... HELP....

P.S. Yes I have the routing restrictions set so we are not an open relay...

[ September 27, 2002, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: 06scooter60 ]
Post #: 1
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 26.Sep.2002 3:11:00 PM   
richardw1972

and you're certain it's not a virus?

just a guess!

Rich

(in reply to 06scooter60)
Post #: 2
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 27.Sep.2002 12:02:00 AM   
06scooter60

We have McCaffe Corp edition and all defs. are up to date with no virus found.....

Post #: 3
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 27.Sep.2002 12:14:00 AM   
mrgrace

Sounds like a virus to me. I would look at the sender and the message subject. If all of the messages are the same, it is a worm. If it is just one sender, I would cut him off.

Post #: 4
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 27.Sep.2002 12:16:00 AM   
mrgrace

Your server may be protected against a virus but the user's desktop may not be.

Post #: 5
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 27.Sep.2002 12:46:00 AM   
06scooter60

Server was isolated from network with "Interenet Mail Connector" stopped. After "Interenet Mail Connector" service was restarted the queue filled up with 15,000 emails and the originator being "mike123@aol.com"(as an example) and the destinations vary from yahoo.com to amazon.com. The originators are not valid users on this network. If the Server is not connected to anything and the Queue is still filling up, and the virus software says no virus's present, what the heck is it. "Help Me Mr. Wizard..."

Post #: 6
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 28.Sep.2002 8:44:00 PM   
dlwhittle

Not a virus, you are an OPEN RELAY.

Post #: 7
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 28.Sep.2002 9:40:00 PM   
06scooter60

If it were a virus, why is it that Norton, McCafee and Trend could find nothing. If it were an Open Relay, why when we disconect it from the Internet and dump the Queue, it instantly fills back up... we have even removed it completely from the network alltogether to rule out any system, Internal and external and still when we dump the Queue it still fills instantly with thousands of emails.

Thanks for trying... [Smile]

We are down to calling Microsoft Paid For Support.

Post #: 8
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 30.Sep.2002 8:21:00 PM   
jeffh

I've got the same problem. Our \imcdata\out folder is generating 1000 files per hour and we cant send outbound mail.
If we are being used as an Open Relay, how do we stop it?

Post #: 9
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 1.Oct.2002 2:15:00 PM   
pjhutch

Open Exchange Admin, goto Configuration, Connections and check your in/outbound connectors
click on Connections and then Specify By Host and enter IP addresses of valid sources of email e.g. ISP or who ever and for 0.0.0.0 allow only Secure Authorised access. That should help to fix it!

PEter

Post #: 10
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 1.Oct.2002 6:55:00 PM   
dlwhittle

This one is puzzling, it almost has to be either open relay or virus, could you let us know if you figure it out?
What happens when you un-plug the server network connection? That must stop it. When you say "disconnect from the internet" what exactly are you doing.
Another thing- someone in the company might be using the server to relay?

Post #: 11
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 8.Oct.2002 4:00:00 PM   
buckeye1999

I had this same problem. I was convinced beyond all else that it was a worm. I don't believe virus software can protect systems from worms that come in on ports such as 80. Unfortunately we had to do a full install. System was totally hosed.

Post #: 12
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 8.Oct.2002 5:41:00 PM   
theoldunit

We've had this. We first found that there was thousands of messages stuck waiting conversion in both in/out bound queues. The usual services were stopped/started, then the queues emptied, & everyone had NDR from mails they sent months ago & had replies from. Not sure how to fix. but M$ seems unhelpful (lol).

Post #: 13
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 13.Oct.2002 12:35:00 PM   
theoldunit

Sorted this at our site, we were running SP2 for Exchange, & Groupshield 4.04. This version was found to be buggy. NAI recomended to upgrade Exchange to SP4, & uninstall 4.04 & install Groupshield 4.5 or above. If you do this, the uninstall isn't easy as there isn't a uninstall for it, it's down to deleting keys from the reg, & deleting the objects in the Admin prog in raw mode. Glad that this worked, & hope it helps others.
[Smile] :)Only thing we had to do was to stop the IMC Service, then manually delete the files from the out folder, with the network cable pulled, to ensure nothing goes out

[ October 13, 2002, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: theoldunit ]

Post #: 14
RE: We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out... - 22.Oct.2002 9:41:00 PM   
noadmin

I am also having the same problem. Ours was so severe that I reformatted the hardrive and did a fresh intall, now 7 days later it is happening again. I have sp4 with norton antivirus for exchange, and have followed the intructions from the learning zone about preventing relaying. What I did notice in the admin portion of exchange under the logon log is that all recepients are showing that they are logging on at the excact same time? Any ideas or solutions??? Thanks.

Post #: 15

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> We Are Out of Business **** EMERGENCY ----- Out-Bound Queue run amuck..... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter