• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

OWA or IIS hanging ?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> OWA or IIS hanging ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OWA or IIS hanging ? - 27.Oct.2003 12:11:00 PM   
rjwoodcock

I have Exchange 5.5 SP4 installed on a Win2k member server used for Outlook and OWA clients, it's also running IIS5.0
Everything had been working fine for 12 months until the following started recently.
Almost daily OWA will hang - when trying to access the Exchange site through IE5.5 browser either the logon screen will appear blank or I get a "Page Cannot be Displayed error". I have to kill Inetinfo.exe and then stop/start the WWW service.
This has occured since I installed/uninstalled Excel97 viewer, restarted and found that the Exchange logon window was available but kept getting the Inbox is unavailable message when entering the correct password. This problem was resolved by renaming the CDO.dll and then reinstalling Outlook 2000 however ever since then I have had this IIS problem.
I have reinstalled IIS, OWA, Win2k and Exchange Service Pack.
Please help as the next step is to rebuild the server which I REALLY don't want to do.

Regards,
Rob Woodcock.
Post #: 1
RE: OWA or IIS hanging ? - 27.Oct.2003 3:53:00 PM   
rjwoodcock

Further to this, could it be anything to do with the Exchange Virtual Directory Website properties for Execute permissions and Application protection ? They are currently set to "Scripts and Executables" and "Low (IIS Process)"

(in reply to rjwoodcock)
Post #: 2
RE: OWA or IIS hanging ? - 27.Oct.2003 7:26:00 PM   
deyster

Have you tried uninstalling excel 97?

(in reply to rjwoodcock)
Post #: 3
RE: OWA or IIS hanging ? - 28.Oct.2003 9:50:00 AM   
rjwoodcock

Yes, I uninstalled it the same night but at the end of the uninstall it required a reboot which didn't happen that night. A few nights later it was rebooted and then OWA became inaccessible. I tried reinstalling IIS and OWA (service packs et al.) with no joy. Amending a registry key highlighted an error code on logging in to OWA which pointed to CDO.dll and suggested that reinstalling Outlook 2000 might cure the login problem. This worked however I still have the issue of inetinfo.exe hitting 100% and the server requiring an IISReset to get it working again every morning.

(in reply to rjwoodcock)
Post #: 4
RE: OWA or IIS hanging ? - 29.Oct.2003 1:39:00 AM   
sabasigh

I got the same thing happening. According to KB article 818709...it could be because I accessed the Exchange server with a Outlook 2003.

(in reply to rjwoodcock)
Post #: 5
RE: OWA or IIS hanging ? - 29.Oct.2003 8:02:00 AM   
sabasigh

Well...I applied the hotfix and still problems. I reinstalled Service Pack 4, then installed a cumalitve patch for OWA since Service Pack 4 and then reapplied the above hotfix.

I have NOT accessed OWA with the supposedly corrupted mailbox and OWA and been running ever since.

2.5 hours of pure fun...

(in reply to rjwoodcock)
Post #: 6
RE: OWA or IIS hanging ? - 29.Oct.2003 9:44:00 AM   
rjwoodcock

WE've applied the Outlook 2003 patch but can you tell me what the other post SP4 hot-fix was so I can try that please ?

(in reply to rjwoodcock)
Post #: 7
RE: OWA or IIS hanging ? - 30.Oct.2003 1:11:00 AM   
sabasigh

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313576&Product=ech

(in reply to rjwoodcock)
Post #: 8
RE: OWA or IIS hanging ? - 31.Oct.2003 4:27:00 PM   
rjwoodcock

We've applied the patch and reapplied the one for Outlook 2003 and so far it's been stable ..... we'll see how it goes.

(in reply to rjwoodcock)
Post #: 9
RE: OWA or IIS hanging ? - 3.Nov.2003 6:36:00 PM   
sabasigh

Unbe-freaking-lievable!

I had an employee install Outlook 2003 at home and access his Exchange mailbox thru VPN. Then access Webmail...crashed again!

Reinstalled the cumalative patch with the hotfix and admonished said user...hopefully it keeps running.

Let EVERYONE know that Outlook 2003 is not to be used!

(in reply to rjwoodcock)
Post #: 10
RE: OWA or IIS hanging ? - 4.Nov.2003 5:26:00 PM   
rjwoodcock

Indeed tried the post SP4 patch and Outlook 2003 hotfix again but still no joy !
The server currently runs a batch file to kill inetinfo and restart IIS every morning at 4.30 -
The annoying thing is I can't find anything in the IIS logs from around that time, except for some ASP_0115 errors.
Is there any way you can tell if someone has logged in using Outlook 2003 ?

(in reply to rjwoodcock)
Post #: 11
RE: OWA or IIS hanging ? - 4.Nov.2003 10:13:00 PM   
sabasigh

Then it might not be the same thing as when my OWA crashed, I couldn't stop the Web service or kill inetinfo...I had to disable the service and reboot.

(in reply to rjwoodcock)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> OWA or IIS hanging ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter