• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

reducing size of priv.edb

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> reducing size of priv.edb Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
reducing size of priv.edb - 5.Nov.2003 10:55:00 AM   
richardw1972

hello

I need to defrag my priv.edb in Ex 5.5.

what exactly is the process for this and are there any pitfalls I need to look out for?

thanks

Rich
Post #: 1
RE: reducing size of priv.edb - 6.Nov.2003 3:40:00 PM   
lalorm

in dos run...

eseutil /d /ispriv /tD:\tempedb\tempedb.edb

This will run an offline defrag on the Private information store and place a temp priv.edb file in D:\tempedb. You do however need at least the size of your priv.edb + 10% of free space to hold the tempedb.edb

This also over rights the existing priv.edb, so you might want to make a backup first of your existing .edb
Hope this helps.
type eseutil /? for more info

(in reply to richardw1972)
Post #: 2
RE: reducing size of priv.edb - 6.Nov.2003 3:59:00 PM   
richardw1972

thanks. so that's the syntax regardless of where my priv.edb is located?

Post #: 3
RE: reducing size of priv.edb - 6.Nov.2003 5:01:00 PM   
lalorm

Hi,

yep, thats the sybtax. Also, theres no space between /tD: It's supposed to be like that. Just make sure that there is enough free space on your drive (I said D:) for the temp edb file. Also, make a backup first.
depending on the size of the edb file it might take some time. Even if it looks like it's done but hasn't returned to a prompt, don't do anything. Leave it run to the end even if it looks like it's hung. 1 hour for between 5 and 10GB depending of the server.

Post #: 4
RE: reducing size of priv.edb - 6.Nov.2003 5:03:00 PM   
richardw1972

great. now this might sound like a stupid question, but what is the point of the temporary edb file if all I want to do is defrag the existing one? sorry to be a pain.

Post #: 5
RE: reducing size of priv.edb - 10.Nov.2003 10:39:00 AM   
lalorm

Exchange creates a temp edb file to store information it moving since it's moving information around to move all free space to one chunk. It uses the temp ebd to store this info while doing the defrag.

Post #: 6
RE: reducing size of priv.edb - 10.Nov.2003 10:42:00 AM   
richardw1972

oh, I see. So will Exchange get rid of the temp edb file when it's finished defragging or do I need to delete it myself?

Post #: 7
RE: reducing size of priv.edb - 10.Nov.2003 5:14:00 PM   
lalorm

with that line I gave you, yes, however you can tell exchange not to replace the original edb file. I forget the exact parameter. I think it's /p at the end, but check it out first.
You will also have to manually replace the logs. You could do it that way first to see if it works, then defrag again and let it automatically replace the original edb file.

Post #: 8
RE: reducing size of priv.edb - 18.Nov.2003 10:12:00 AM   
dgena

I'll add one more question to this topic:

- How often is it recommended that you run an offline defrag of priv.edb? (the eseutil /d command)

It was a long time since I ran it and I think it's realy time for it now...

Post #: 9
RE: reducing size of priv.edb - 18.Nov.2003 4:41:00 PM   
zbnet

You shouldn't really need to run it unless you clear a significant percentage of the space from the priv.edb (say you do a mass mailbox move). Under normal circulstances the online defrag will work fine, it's much better in 5.5 than it was in 4.0 and 5.0.

Post #: 10
RE: reducing size of priv.edb - 18.Nov.2003 5:03:00 PM   
richardw1972

will online defrag free up hard disk space?

Post #: 11
RE: reducing size of priv.edb - 19.Nov.2003 8:38:00 AM   
zbnet

No, online defrag doesn't free up disk space. It moves the white space of the database into one big clump, so using it for new mail is more efficient than searching the database for little bits of free space to spread new messages into.

Anyhow, why do you want to free disk space? Don't you have a large volume allocated to just the databases anyway? The first thing that happens when new mail is sent after an offline defrag is that Exchange makes the databse file size bigger again because it hasn't got any free space in the database file to store the new message in. So frequent offline defrags just increase your down time, and make Exchange work harder immediately afterwards as well.

Post #: 12
RE: reducing size of priv.edb - 19.Nov.2003 9:46:00 AM   
richardw1972

well, the reason is that I'm conscious of running low on disk space at some time in the fairly near future, so I want to pre-empt that by reducing the size of priv.edb considerably. I know it'll start to grow again straight away, but I'm convinced there's lots of white space in there!

Post #: 13
RE: reducing size of priv.edb - 20.Nov.2003 8:30:00 AM   
zbnet

You can check exactly how much space is in the priv.edb and the pub.edb by looking for the 1221 events that the database maintanence writes.

If you're approaching full disk any time soon it's too late to run an offline defrag - see back to the very first reply in this thread. Offline defrag writes another copy of the database, then deletes the old file, so you need to have approx as much space left on the disk as is the size of your priv.edb (exact requirements depend on how much white spce you have).

Post #: 14

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> reducing size of priv.edb Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter