• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Would U help me on editing lots of users SMTP address by using DIrectory Import Tool?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Would U help me on editing lots of users SMTP address by using DIrectory Import Tool? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Would U help me on editing lots of users SMTP address b... - 27.Feb.2004 4:11:00 PM   
Jacky.Dong

Dear Sir
My Boss asked me to limited the user number who can send and receive e-mail from Internet.
I had created a Group which including all the users who can not send e-mail to internet.
The next,I would remove the SMTP address from the user who don't have the permission to send e-mail to Internet.
But the problem comes.There are more than 1400 SMTP address (2 SMTP address per user) waiting for me to remove.I think it a nightmare to me.
So I use the Directory Import tool.
I made a .csv file named test.csv
When the content about mail address of the test.csv are as follow:X400:c=CN;a= ;p=ABC;o=DE;s=Jacky Dong;:a@a.com%FAXMAKER:JackyDong@D.ABC.com.I changed Jacky Dong's SMTP Address from JackyDong@abc.d.com to a@a.com.
But I would remove JackyDong' SMTP address,Would U kindly Help me?
Any response would be greatly appreciated!
Post #: 1
RE: Would U help me on editing lots of users SMTP addre... - 1.Mar.2004 5:06:00 PM   
zbnet

Well, removing SMTP addresses will certainly stop people receiving email sent to these email addresses, but it doesn't stop people sending to the Internet - if they don't have an SMTP proxy, then the system makes up some embeded X.400 address, which is probably repliable to from ourside your company, so your users will still be sending and receiving external email.

Better to simply prevent them from sending email externally. You can do this very easily with the Delivery Restrictions tab of the IMS. Create a Distibution List called something like Prevent External Email, and add this DL to the list of excluded users on the IMS Deleivery restrictiosn tab (you'll need to stop and restart the IMS for this change to take effect).

Then, simply populate the DL with all the mailboxes you want to stop sending external email. Whenever they try to send externally they will get a non-delivery report (NDR) that says 'a restriction in the system prevented delivery of this message'.

They will still be able to receive external email, but because they can't reply the amount they receive should drop off very quickly.

(in reply to Jacky.Dong)
Post #: 2
RE: Would U help me on editing lots of users SMTP addre... - 2.Mar.2004 12:45:00 AM   
Jacky.Dong

Dear zbnet:
Thanks for Ur Advices.

(in reply to Jacky.Dong)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Would U help me on editing lots of users SMTP address by using DIrectory Import Tool? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter