• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

New email won't refresh in Inbox...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> New email won't refresh in Inbox... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New email won't refresh in Inbox... - 31.Aug.2004 4:40:00 PM   
darthhighlander

Hi all,

I'm having a small issue here at work. We recently hooked up to our headoffice through a PIX firewall and Cisco router. Before we did this, our Exchange 5.5 server was working fine and Outlook would refresh emails in your inbox automatically and seemlessly. Now, we've put our network behind a PIX and we have the Exchange box in the DMZ part of the PIX and the only way emails will appear in your inbox is if you click another folder (sent items, deleted items, whatever...) and then click back into inbox and suddenly all your new emails appear. We've been looking into this but can't find anything.

Any help would be much appreciated. And if you need any more info, just let me know.
Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: New email won't refresh in Inbox... - 31.Aug.2004 4:59:00 PM   
zbnet

You've blocked UDP packets on your network.

(in reply to darthhighlander)
Post #: 2
RE: New email won't refresh in Inbox... - 31.Aug.2004 5:27:00 PM   
darthhighlander

Any idea which UDP ports?

Post #: 3
RE: New email won't refresh in Inbox... - 1.Sep.2004 9:44:00 AM   
zbnet

This is another example of someone wanting to be spoon-fed answers to issues. I gave you the magic word 'UDP', this coupled with the phrase 'exchange new mail notification', when Googled, turns up (as the top link) the following article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264035

Alternatively, full details in FAQ number 69 in http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5§ionID=1005§ionName=Technical%20Stuff

Post #: 4
RE: New email won't refresh in Inbox... - 1.Sep.2004 10:20:00 AM   
koggen

What zbnet missed to explain and which isn't clearly stated in the links he provided is that this means that you can only get this to work if you a) allow UDP traffic as suggested to your clients, b) traffic from the Exchange server can actually route back to the clients.

Option a) would mean that you would have to open up a lot of ports from your DMZ to the internal network, and that's *bad*. The whole point of having a DMZ is lost then!

Option b) means that you (normally) can't have Exchange on a public address on the DMZ perimiter, and clients on the private network with private addresses (since normally you can't route to private addresses). This is especially true if you use NAT to allow clients with private addresses access to the Exchange server!

My suggestion is therefore that you move the Exchange server to an internal network segment. If you need a SMTP gateway or host OWA I'd suggest putting an ISA box on the DMZ instead. Either way, your better off by just putting the Exchange server on an internal network and portforward traffic to port 25/tcp for SMTP and 80/tcp, 443/tcp for OWA (as well as some ports for e.g. POP3 and IMAP if you use that).

Good luck! [Smile]

// Johan

Post #: 5
RE: New email won't refresh in Inbox... - 1.Sep.2004 5:19:00 PM   
darthhighlander

Thanks guys.

And I'm sorry I asked to be "spoon fed" but I'm not the one who can actually work on our Cisco gear so I thought I'd inquire a bit more, as I can't go poking through the IOS. And I had searched google quite a bit before I had asked the initial question so I didn't bother looking it up after you had posted.

But I appreciate your help. Thank you.

[ September 01, 2004, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Lee S ]

Post #: 6
RE: New email won't refresh in Inbox... - 4.Oct.2004 6:07:00 PM   
The Windows XP firewall will also hose it because it blocks the UDP ports that Outlook and Exchange want to use for the new-mail notifications. My customers started having trouble with this after they installed wonderful XP sp2. Disabling the firewall fixes the problem.

Post #: 7
RE: New email won't refresh in Inbox... - 7.Oct.2004 10:21:00 PM   
kramark

Wich version of exchange Shane ?

I have seen this issue with XP SP2 and exchange 5.5

Do it also occur on ex 2000 or ex 2003 when the firewall is enabled ?

Post #: 8
RE: New email won't refresh in Inbox... - 4.Nov.2004 3:21:00 PM   
MrPlasticMan

We got over this with XP SP2 by adding outlook.exe to the firewall allowed program list. Didn't have to worry about ports etc.

Post #: 9
RE: New email won't refresh in Inbox... - 1.Dec.2004 3:45:00 PM   
I have the exact same problem but the network is as follows: Exchange 2000 Server <---> Outlook 2000 (SP3) on Windows XP (SP1). There is no firewall, personal or corporate in the way, SP2 is not installed so no firewall problems there and it's happening only to Windows XP machines with Office 2000, not Windows 2000 with Office 2000. I have tried the ForcePolling registry additions suggested by the MSKB and to no avail. This is frustrating.

Post #: 10
RE: New email won't refresh in Inbox... - 8.Dec.2004 11:37:00 AM   
Rules2LiveBy

If there is an ISA Server on the network beware:

If you are using the ISA Firewall Client on Windows XP SP1 or above, then email new notifications will not work when the LDT on the ISA Server is missing of malformed.

Solution: a) Stop using Firewall Client
Solution: b) Put the internal server (e.g. myserver.company.local) or the whole internal domain (e.g. *.company.local) in the LDT on the ISA server, restart the services and refresh the client settings from the Update now button.

Post #: 11
RE: New email won't refresh in Inbox... - 22.Dec.2004 10:57:00 AM   
When you open Outlook it sends its address information to the Exchange server and negotiates a port number (random). When new mail arrives at the Exchange server, it sends a new mail notification message to you at the address details that were negotiated last time you logged into Outlook. The random port is not easy to make a firewall rule for and so the firewall will generally see the notification message as an unsolicited inbound packet and drop it. It is possible to configure Exchange to use a fixed port. The randomness is there as a security measure so I would think twice before doing that. One way of getting around it is to configure Outlook to use Offline folders set to synchronise every minute. It doesn't create as much traffic as you might imagine.
Cheers,
David

Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> New email won't refresh in Inbox... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter