• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

duplicate user!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> duplicate user! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
duplicate user! - 25.Jul.2005 5:53:00 AM   
janwil

Hi!
I have this problem with one recipient , in server a: the recipent is listed once in the global adresslist with the e-mail adress aaa.bbb(at)ccc.com this server replicates to the "main" Exchange server server b. this server is also the connector machine that recieves and sends all the messages out to the internet. on this server the recipient is listed twice with the same e-mail adress. this resulting that the user cannot recieve e-mail from the net. if i send the user e-mail from server a (so it doesn't go through server b) it's all fine.
if i hook up to server b and run Exchange Admin i cannot do anything with the recipient account from that server. if i try to look at the properties of the recipient i get the message "no mapping between account names and security ID's was Done"

It look like this recipent account somhow has been stucked in this servers adresslist.

It there anyway i can fix this problem. as i said if i run Exchange Admin on server A the recipient is listed only once.

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Jan Wilhelmsen
Post #: 1
RE: duplicate user! - 25.Jul.2005 8:00:00 AM   
zbnet

Are the servers in the same Exchange site, or different sites?

(in reply to janwil)
Post #: 2
RE: duplicate user! - 25.Jul.2005 9:44:00 AM   
janwil

quote:
Originally posted by zbnet:
Are the servers in the same Exchange site, or different sites?

They're in different sites.

Jan

(in reply to janwil)
Post #: 3
RE: duplicate user! - 25.Jul.2005 10:17:00 AM   
zbnet

Have you checked out the Directory Replication between the sites? It sounds like this might be faulty.

Are the servers in the same NT domain?

(in reply to janwil)
Post #: 4
RE: duplicate user! - 26.Jul.2005 1:49:00 AM   
janwil

Yes, i've checked the replication, i've tried to change the a attribute on the account on server a and the change is succesfully replicated to server b. They're not in the same NT domain.

However we have some time ago changed the user accounts over to Active Directory, but the exchange server is still in a NT 4 Domain(two different ones).

I've noticed that that the alias attribute on those two "duplicate" account is different. the one causing the problem is when the user was in the old NT 4 Domain. and on the other one the alias is like it should be(like the useraccount in AD)

But the strange thing is that it has been working all along until now.

Thanks!

Jan

(in reply to janwil)
Post #: 5
RE: duplicate user! - 26.Jul.2005 3:09:00 PM   
zbnet

ADC?

(in reply to janwil)
Post #: 6
RE: duplicate user! - 27.Jul.2005 4:08:00 AM   
janwil

Well not at the moment but i think the problem started when hey where setting up an DAC connection in the site where server b is.

I know they removed the ADC but i think that this is where the problem started.

the thing is there was an test of migaration/upgrading Exchange to 2003 and they tried the external path migration(new site) but it did not work out that good, so it's been decided that we should do an In-Site migration of Exchange instead.

The problem now is that all the Exchange Pro's. is on vacation and that the migration of Exchange will take some time. in the meantime i must get the mailbox to work.

Isn't there any tool like eseutil or something that i can run, will consistency check resolve this. is the problem on server B or server A?

for me it looks like that the problem is on server B.

Thanks again for the help?

Jan

(in reply to janwil)
Post #: 7
RE: duplicate user! - 27.Jul.2005 6:39:00 AM   
zbnet

Jan

It's difficult to answer your questions without more understanding of how the situation was created, and what you are seeing now. You say you think the problem has been there since the removal of the ADC from server B's site - this sounds like the people who removed the ADC need to check it out. Are you sure there aren't other mailboxes in this situation?

To summarise my understanding of your situation: You have 2 servers, A and B, in different sites. Each is also in a different domain (you haven't said whether the Associated NT accounts of the mailboxes are in the same domains as the servers, or whether you use a different domain for user authentication).

You have a mailbox on server A that can send and receive mail from other mailboxes on server A no problem, and server A's GAL is okay. On server B the mailbox from server A is listed twice, one is the correct entry and one is the incorrect entry. Changes to the mailbox on server A are replicated correctly to server B.

Is that a fair summary?

Can other mailboxes on server B send successfully to the correct GAL entry for the mailbox? If so, it's just the rogue entry for the mailbox on server B that is confusing the IMS when it tries to resolve the SMTP against the GAL.

In that case, you could try and force Dir Rep from server A to server B - you actually do this with a 'pull', from Server B telling it to get an update from server A's site. The key here would be to not select the default option but select the bottom option "Refresh all items in the directory". This should cause server B's site to refresh its view of the other site completely.

(in reply to janwil)
Post #: 8
RE: duplicate user! - 27.Jul.2005 7:41:00 AM   
janwil

Yes it's a fari summary, we have 3 domains in this scenario, one NT 4 domain called aaaa, where server a is, one nt 4 domain bbbb where server b and one Active directory domain where the user accounts is. before we started with AD the users where athuticated in the NT 4 domains.

the user had then in the NT 4 domain usernames like ffflll (f=firstname l=lastname) this is also what the alias is on exchange server
after we started with AD the usernames is like this ccffflll (cc=countrycode) so then we changed the alias in exchange to this new standard.
The reasen i mention this is because on server b the two mailboxes appears twice, one with ffflll as alias and one with cclllfff.

I've done the dir rep thing from server b and checked radio button for "refresh all items in the directory" several times allready.

does not help at all. i have not been able to try if any other internal users in the organisation can send mail to this user from server b, but i think they will get they same problem as sending from the internet.

Jan

(in reply to janwil)
Post #: 9
RE: duplicate user! - 27.Jul.2005 8:04:00 AM   
zbnet

quote:
i have not been able to try if any other internal users in the organisation can send mail to this user from server b, but i think they will get they same problem as sending from the internet
You need to try this - the name resolution method is totally different. When an incoming SMTP message arrives, the IMS does a lookup against the GAL for a matching object - if multiple objects 'own' the SMTP address it refuses to deliver - and rightly so, this is an illegal state in Exchange, all SMTP proxy addresses should b unique.

Sending from an internal user is different, though. You get to choose exactly the recipient object from the GAL. I'd try two messages, one to each of the versions of the mailbox. Hopefully the correct one will work, and the incorrect one generate an error message (please share this error message with us).

By the way, on server B, does the incorrect version of the mailbox appear to be homed in the Recipients contaiber of server A alongside the correct version of the replicated object?

(in reply to janwil)
Post #: 10
RE: duplicate user! - 27.Jul.2005 9:31:00 AM   
janwil

This is the error message that we get when sending to the incorrect mailbox:

This is in Swedish so i try to transelate in ()
Meddelandet nsdde inte alla mottagare:
(message could not be delievered)

-mne(subject): Test 1
Skickat(sendt): 2005-07-27 14:29

F÷ljande mottagare kunde inte nss:
(the folowing recipient could not be reached)
Hjemmen Stian den 2005-07-27 14:29
Mottagarens namn kSnns inte igen (the recipients name could not be resolved)
Det ursprungliga MTS-ID et f÷r meddelandet Sr:(the orgininal MTS-ID for this message is): c=SE;a= ;p=Bilia;l=M11094300004-050727132919Z-25253
MSEXCH:MSExchangeMTA:NOOSLBIL01:EX84701 (server a)

And yes the mailboxes seems to be homed in the recipeint container on server A.

Thanks

Jan

(in reply to janwil)
Post #: 11
RE: duplicate user! - 27.Jul.2005 11:07:00 AM   
zbnet

Okay, it looks to me like you've got what's known as an orphaned object. The scenario is outlined in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;179573 I'd try option 1 first - it's a bit fiddly to get working, but you should be able to do it.

(in reply to janwil)
Post #: 12
RE: duplicate user! - 29.Jul.2005 2:33:00 AM   
janwil

Hi!
Just want to thank you again for all the help, i followed the guide and method 1. it resolved the problem.

Thanks

Jan Wilhelmsen

(in reply to janwil)
Post #: 13
RE: duplicate user! - 29.Jul.2005 3:34:00 AM   
zbnet

Great news - glad you got it sorted.

Enjoy the short Oslo summer!

(in reply to janwil)
Post #: 14

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> duplicate user! Page: [1]