• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Outlook must be online or connected to complete the action

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Outlook must be online or connected to complete the action Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Outlook must be online or connected to complete the action - 2.Aug.2005 11:17:00 PM   
amkhullar

windows XP OS, outlook 2003 + SP1, exchange 5.5: install of Outllook succeeds. When I attempt to add an account, either via Outlook setup or the Mail Account Control Panel applet, the following error is thrown: "The Action could not be completed. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete the action"

Server address ping by name and by IP address, and the box operates fine otherwise, telnet alsow works on port 25. this occurrs for any account you try to add. the accounts work on other PC's and via OWA. I have un-installed and re-installe, attempted to resolve by
IP, and tried to setup under various profiles.

Also un-installed and combed the registry for orphaned keys...no luck. any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 22.Aug.2005 1:00:00 PM   
Have you solved this yet? I have just run into the problem myself and can't figure it out.

(in reply to amkhullar)
  Post #: 2
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 22.Aug.2005 11:28:00 PM   
amkhullar

Nah could not find a solution just rrestored my system to a previous restore point in Win XP. Thta solved this issue as per my findings I ran an windows update which caused this issue. so better not update your system with the new updates or try uninstalling one of the recently installed updates.

(in reply to amkhullar)
Post #: 3
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 22.Aug.2005 11:30:00 PM   
tedoff

Is your XP machine with Outlook local to the Exchange box? Do you have a firewall active which might block ports other than 25? I believe you need several other ports open besides port 25 in order to make a MAPI connection to Exchange.

(in reply to amkhullar)
Post #: 4
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 23.Aug.2005 12:22:00 AM   
amkhullar

Nope all the ports are open and no such firewall active , also the exchange is in my LAN itslef.

(in reply to amkhullar)
Post #: 5
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 29.Aug.2005 10:56:00 AM   
bail0081

I ran into a similar problem connecting Outlook 2003 to an exchange server and spent the whole of two days figuring out a solution.

In my case, I was connecting to the server on a remote LAN through a VPN. The solution was to statically set the WINS IP addresses on my local machine. This fixe the problem in my case, so perhaps it would work for others as well.

quote:
Originally posted by amkhullar:
Nope all the ports are open and no such firewall active , also the exchange is in my LAN itslef.

(in reply to amkhullar)
Post #: 6
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 14.Oct.2008 10:28:40 AM   
Diamond Dog

I too have been on this for 2 days now. I added my Exchange Server's IP to the WINS IP stack in the client's Internet Protocol Network Connections but still no luck.

I am merely trying to reconnect Outlook to the Exchange Server 2003 (which I can ping no problem). Two days ago a former employee of the company occupied this work station. I am attempting to move another user's mail account to this machine. So I deleted the mail box from this computer and am now trying to start it up again using an existing mail account that I am migrating from one Windows XP machine to this Windows XP machine.

I get "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action." messages.

Any thoughts or ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

(in reply to bail0081)
Post #: 7
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 14.Oct.2008 11:02:55 AM   
Diamond Dog

Well, out of lack of anything else to try at this point, I entered the IP address of the Exchange Server in the Microsoft Exchange Server textbox on the E-mail Accounts > Exchange Server Settings and once I tabbed out of that textbox the system automatically recognized the IP and populated the box with my Exchange Server's named address.

I then was able to proceed successfully!

Hope this helps the next person in the same situation and saves a few days of hammering at attempts to get connected.

< Message edited by Diamond Dog -- 14.Oct.2008 11:04:12 AM >

(in reply to Diamond Dog)
Post #: 8
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 20.Jan.2009 12:18:41 PM   
PerseasFather

Hi you all,
Recently i run into the same problem and after many efforts i solved it as follows :
1. Login on the local machine (not my domain) with my credentials.
2. Delete any mail accounts you have on your Microsoft Office Outlook
2. Deactivate any personal firewall.
3. Go to control panel > mail > email accounts and create a new microsoft exchange account, complete this process and exit control panel.
4. Run Microsoft Office Outlook. (mine worked perfect so far).
5. Close Microsoft Office Outlook.
6. Reactivate your personal firewall.

Log off from local machine ang login to your Domain with the same credentials as before.
Run your Microsoft Office Outlook.

Good luck !!!
P.F.

< Message edited by PerseasFather -- 20.Jan.2009 12:20:02 PM >

(in reply to Diamond Dog)
Post #: 9
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 2.Jun.2009 9:03:41 AM   
ajb

I had this same problem. It resulted from me changing the order of the address books to something other than the Exchange address book being first - too bad it took me days (ok a week) to figure out how I messed up my ability to send emails. It took a while because the message about not being connected didn't make sense because I could receive emails with no problem and had a perfectly functioning internet connection. Do the following to correct, if this is your problem:

In Outlook, click tools
click Address Book
click tools (in the address book box)
click options
make sure the Exchange Address Book is first in the list of "When sending mail..."
click OK

(in reply to PerseasFather)
Post #: 10
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 18.Nov.2009 1:00:00 AM   
leejane30

well, if that's you case, mine is a lot worse.
after doing some configuration, m Outlook didn't worked at all after the configuration i have done on my PC.

Debt Consolidation Quotes UK

(in reply to ajb)
Post #: 11
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 21.Jan.2010 11:52:44 AM   
bobthebrowser

After weeks of searching and trying tip I found I could I was still not able to find a solution online or via any
groups.
AND I've looked relentlessly.
Now I have found a solution!!
I went to a machine that Outlook was working on and exported the
entire key and subkeys from
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
\Windows Messaging Subsystem]
This key will contain what ever user settings and mailboxes from what ever profile you were logged into on the old machine. But once connected you can then change any account settings and mailboxes!

Hope this helps someone!!

> When I try an add my Exchange server [2000] to Outlook 2007 I get
> (under any
> user on this particular machine).
> The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable.  Outlook must be
> online or
> connected to complete this action.

> I have edited the hosts file[both adding and removing entries]
> I can ping my by server by name fine
> Many many others with 2003 and 2007 Outlook work fine
> I have deleted the .ost files in local settings
> I have deleted the profile in the Control Panel with the Mail Icon,
> created a separt POP3 and then went back to add an Exchange box.  I
> have deleted the profile several times and tried to create a new
> profile several times.
> I have changed authentication to NTLM and others
> I have searched and searched
> I have seen Microsoft Knowledge Base article concerning ZeroConfig
> and
> AutoDiscover
> I have re-installed Office 2K7.
> I have tried repair and found no errors.
> Applied all patches.
> Also tried to rebuild tcpip with netsh
> I can attach to shares on the server, read/write files on the server.
> XP/Outlook 2003 machines work fine, joined to the domain or not joined
> to the domain (using RPC over HTTP)

> Nothing helps.

> I have noticed many people have had the same problem.

> Does anyone have ANY other suggestions?

(in reply to amkhullar)
Post #: 12
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 20.Mar.2010 2:59:27 AM   
granfaloon

Solution is uninstall outlook 2k7 and reboot your computer.
and install outlook 2k3 to add your e-mail account. it never cause any problem. when finish try to re-install 2k7 by UPGRADE.

(in reply to bobthebrowser)
Post #: 13
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 11.Feb.2011 9:23:46 PM   
skyline1241

quote:

ORIGINAL: PerseasFather

Hi you all,
Recently i run into the same problem and after many efforts i solved it as follows :
1. Login on the local machine (not my domain) with my credentials.
2. Delete any mail accounts you have on your Microsoft Office Outlook
2. Deactivate any personal firewall.
3. Go to control panel > mail > email accounts and create a new microsoft exchange account, complete this process and exit control panel.
4. Run Microsoft Office Outlook. (mine worked perfect so far).
5. Close Microsoft Office Outlook.
6. Reactivate your personal firewall.

Log off from local machine ang login to your Domain with the same credentials as before.
Run your Microsoft Office Outlook.

Good luck !!!
P.F.

Thanks you for the post.

Watch The Eagle Online Free

(in reply to PerseasFather)
Post #: 14
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 16.Sep.2011 6:59:02 AM   
Nathen19

I have Outlook 2003 and have problems when trying to set it up. I think I may have done something wrong the first time I tried setting it up, I have since set-up a new account in Outlook's wizard using all my current POP3 and SMTP server settings. I have also set the new account as the default. All of the tests were successful during the set-up phase.
project igi
starcraft

(in reply to amkhullar)
Post #: 15
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 23.Feb.2012 1:06:51 AM   
janejackson

This problem is quite common. Nice solution suggested by professional members. Thanks

Seo UK
Hosting
Killeen Homes
Android App Development

(in reply to Nathen19)
Post #: 16
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 24.Mar.2014 8:17:46 PM   
khiladhi_420

I have outlook 2013 and am trying to add an exchange 2010 multi-tenant account.
I have created a new profile.
I select Manual setup or additional server types
Then select Microsoft Exchange Server or compatible service

I enter the server settings. But the following error is returned when i click check name

"The action cannot be completed. The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to complete this action"

I have tried selecting more settings, selecting security, and then selecting the option:- Always propt for logon credentials.

But the same error is still returned

I tried deselecting the option Encrypt data between Microsoft outlook and Microsoft Exchange

But still continue to get the same error.

Reading from other forums I have tried restarting the Microsoft Exchange Address book service under services on the exchange server.

But this did not help either

I am able to access the email account via outlook web access. I am also able to add the email account to my iphone with the server details and it adds fine onto my iphone but cannot add it to outlook 2013.
any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rehan Miah

(in reply to janejackson)
Post #: 17
RE: Outlook must be online or connected to complete the... - 26.Sep.2014 7:14:42 AM   
tairoylance112

Outlook cannot log on. Verify you are connected to the network and are using the proper server and mailbox name. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange is Unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.

(in reply to khiladhi_420)
Post #: 18

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 5.5] >> General >> Outlook must be online or connected to complete the action Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter