• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

RPC over HTTP

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> RPC over HTTP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RPC over HTTP - 10.Oct.2003 3:33:00 PM   
DocFinity

Hello,
We are going to be upgrading our Exchange 2k server to Exchange 2k3 strictly for the RPC over HTTP functionality. I was just wondering if anyone could shed any opinions/experience with this new feature. Is it worth it, is it all its cracked up to be? I will also have to upgrade my Exchange server to Windows server 2003. This server also runs our website, ftp, etc so its very critical. I am assuming I will also have to upgrade the PDC to windows 2k3. Last but not least is running outlook 2k3 which I am running now and seems to be alright. Any tips, opinions, suggestions are all greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: RPC over HTTP - 18.Nov.2003 7:50:00 PM   
genenius

Hey Doc,

I have done the 2k to 2k3 upgrade and implemented RPC over HTTPS with the use of a Front-end /Back-end server configuration. Here is my documentation on that, since it doesn't work out of the box, there is some customization and configuration that needs to be done in order to set it up.

with that aside, I love the new RPC over HTTP feature, it has worked miracles and has totally cut down on user's complaining about OWA or using VPN. I must recommend!

Here's the link to my documentation:

Gene's ROH Documentation

(in reply to DocFinity)
Post #: 2
RE: RPC over HTTP - 21.Nov.2003 10:33:00 AM   
dforo

I've also implemented RPC over HTTP at one of our client's site and it works fine [Smile]

However you can get RPC over HTTP functionality only in following enviroments:

Server side:
your Exchange servers and global catalog servers must be Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 servers

Client side:
clients must be Windows XP with service pack 1 + RPC fix + Outlook 2003

So the decisions depends much of you client enviroment and weather if you want to provide other services beside Outlook access.

If you for example have several thousand of non-Winxp clients it might be easier and significantly cheaper to configure them with VPN instead of migrating thousands of desktops.

(in reply to DocFinity)
Post #: 3
RE: RPC over HTTP - 12.Dec.2003 6:09:00 PM   
pcunite@fsmail.net

This website talks about this very thing.
http://www.outlookexchange.com/articles/HenrikWalther/default.asp

(in reply to DocFinity)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> RPC over HTTP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll