• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Coexistence of E2K3 in E2K Organization

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Coexistence of E2K3 in E2K Organization Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Coexistence of E2K3 in E2K Organization - 30.Apr.2004 5:12:00 AM   
hasmadi

I have the following environment currently:

a. Six office locations.
b. One forest root domain (W2K AD) at HQ.
c. Five child domains (W2K AD) - one domain per ofiice location (branches).
d. All five child domains have E2K servers.
e. All clients running W2K Pro or later OS.

I am planning for a new branch deployment, but the catch is i'm deploying W2K3 DCs and E2K3 server for the new branch. The final result is to have the following environment:

a. Forest root domain (W2K DC)
b. Five child domains (W2K DC + E2K)
c. New location child domain (W2K3 + E2K3)

I've gone through MS whitepapers, etc...but i still have several concern:

a. When schema is upgraded to v2003 (adprep /forestprep), is it recommended to disconnect the schema master from the network during the exercise?

b. Does ADPREP /DOMAINPREP must be ran on all of the child domains? Is it a requirement if no W2K3 DC will be deployed to the existing child domains?

c. For E2K3 to coexist with E2K, does setup /domainprep (e2K3) needs to be ran on all child domains (W2K domain)?

d. Any known issues for coexistence between E2K and E2K3?

e. Is there an issue changing the IP (different segment each time changed) of the new servers (W2K3 DC and E2K3) several times during the configuration exercise? The plan is to have the new servers configured in HQ (plug to network), then delivered to branch A (plug to network), then delivered to final destination (plug to network).

Any help is appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Coexistence of E2K3 in E2K Organization - 4.May2004 7:26:00 PM   
cwillis

I will try and help:

a. You can't disconnect your schema master and update your schema at the same time, at least not that I found, however I would recommend you have a full backup of your schema master just in case.

b. Domain prep needs only to be run on the domain in which win2k3 or ex2k3 will run, hence the name "domain"prep. Forest prep is schema wide, domainprep is only for that paticular domain and not requied for seperate name spaces. The tricky part here is your using child domains child.domain.com etc (at least that is what I am assuming. In this case I would say you would have to run domain prep in all domains and thier childs due to the relationships they have. This would not apply if you have two domain's xyz.com and abc.net...they have seperate forest roots and therefore don't need the same updates.

c. Here agian you are dealing which child domains that have a relationship to the master domain (unless I read something wrong), in which case the answer is yes. (this might not be the case I am just using my experience and you really don't won't have to different domain extensions running around on your network...it will give you a headache in the end.

d. I have two ex2k3 and one wx2k servers running now without a problem...as with any system this distributed you are bound to have problems but they should be fairly easy to fix.

e. you can change IP and computer name, however this can get tricky. Be sure you really pay attention after final setup to make sure the domain controller is in the correct site, all yoru exchange connectors and metrics are setup right, your replication traffic is correct, etc...all those changes and moving between subnets could get messy.

(in reply to hasmadi)
Post #: 2
RE: Coexistence of E2K3 in E2K Organization - 5.May2004 5:50:00 AM   
hasmadi

Thanx a lot for the information. I will test out in the test lab environment.

(in reply to hasmadi)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Coexistence of E2K3 in E2K Organization Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter