• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Is my plan flawed? 2000 --> 2003...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Is my plan flawed? 2000 --> 2003... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is my plan flawed? 2000 --> 2003... - 10.Jun.2004 7:52:00 PM   
anthonypost

OK. Here is my current setup.

Server1 - Windows 2000 Domain Controller (File and Print, SQL)

Server2 - Windows 2000 Domain Controller (Exchange 2000 with 80+/- Mailboxes)

Server1 was our Exchange server before getting the second server. So with the help of a consultant, when we got the second server, we just moved the mailboxes to the new Server2, shut down and set all the services to manual on Server1, and we were done. So Server1 has Exchange, it's just "turned off" for lack of a better word.

Well I want to do this:

1. Fire the Exchange back up on Server1, and move the mailboxes BACK to Server1 (temporarily)

2. Format and Install Windows Server 2003 & Exchange 2003 on Server2

3. Move the mailboxes BACK over to Server2, which now has Exchange 2003 and Server 2003.

I really DONT want to do an in place upgrade. I REALLY DONT. Is this the best scenario? What are some pointers, or immediate flaws you see in my plan, if any? I'm open for your criticism.

Thanks in advance...

Is this something I could do alone, without the help of a consultant.
Post #: 1
RE: Is my plan flawed? 2000 --> 2003... - 10.Jun.2004 7:57:00 PM   
Randy Temple

I would sugggest purchasing a whole other server and not making it a domain controller. I would bring up the new server as a memeber server with exchange 03 on it add it to your site. I would then create a test mailbox ont he new server to see if you can send mail in and out and that you can recieve mail internally and externally. If you get to that point i would migrate allusers over from the exchange2k box. Once all users are migrated over i would remove the exchagne server from the dc with exchange2k on it. It is not a good practice to run exchagne on dc's. Depending on the size of your company dc's are constantly performing functions and loading it up with exchange is not a good practice.

(in reply to anthonypost)
Post #: 2
RE: Is my plan flawed? 2000 --> 2003... - 10.Jun.2004 9:30:00 PM   
anthonypost

Our org is not very large. I have around 80 users and mailboxes. My server is a Dell Poweredge 2600 Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz with 4GB of RAM and Hardware RAID5 with (3) 73GB SCSI drives with a hot spare. Shouldn't that be able to handle BOTH? It does right now without issue with Win2K and Exch2k? Is 2k3 that much worse? Besides that server is less than 2 years old...

[ June 10, 2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Red_Velvet_Jesus ]

Post #: 3
RE: Is my plan flawed? 2000 --> 2003... - 11.Jun.2004 7:24:00 PM   
Randy Temple

THere are a couple things...

All services run under LocalSystem so there is a greater risk of exposure should a security bug be found (e.g. a bug in AD which allows an attacker to access the AD will also allow them to access Exchange, and vice-versa

Installing Exchange 2003 and Active Directory on the same server has a significant performance impact

It may take approximately 10 minutes for the server to shutdown. This is because the AD service (LSASS.EXE) shuts down before the Exchange services, and DSAccess will go through several timeouts before shutting down. The workaround for this issue is to manually stop the Exchange services (specifically the Store) before initiating a system shutdown or restart

The server must be a Global Catalog server (not just a DC).

These are just a few of the things to think about.

Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Is my plan flawed? 2000 --> 2003... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter